My Oldest Common Goldie Gets Stuck

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
:swear:

Just when I think things are under control, the fish prove me wrong.

My 8 inch long common has been a fairly standard member of the tank for about 3 years now.

So when I come into the room, and see her fat head sticking out of the base of my castle ornament, I thing "you dumb thing. Get out of there." Then I realize she's gotten herself wedged.

She has had a few nicks and scrapes in the past. She's even scraped a few scales off and grown them back within a month or so. Hopefully she can get through this too, and perhaps remember her own size.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
geekboy, this is a classic example of why we recommend that goldfish keepers have no plastic ornaments in their tanks, especially hollow ones. Hollow ornaments not only trap debris and leftover food, leaving pockets of stagnant, toxic water in the tank, but they can trap goldfish inside too - as you've found out!

your common goldfish tore herself up pretty good. i would definitely recommend that you increase your water changes and filter cleanings until she is completely healed up. watch those wounds carefully for the next few weeks for any sign of infection. she tore deep wounds, all the way down into the muscle. fortunately, goldfish are tough and a healthy adult will resist infection. just keep the water super clean.

i also recommend taking out that ornament. the next time she may injure herself even more or get herself so stressed out she could die from shock and/or suffocation.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I've actually got both sides to that castle ornament. It makes a rather elaborate piece when combined, though I already scaled back to half of it for space concerns. Cleaning under it has already been a part of my standard maintenance, and it has really helped to serve as shelter for the smaller tank dwellers. My pleco owes it his life. I really hate to retire the "loach clubhouse", but it's pretty obvious that it's a risk I can't afford to take any more. Thanks for the input everyone.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
geekboy, if you need a hollow ornament i would find something with holes that are large enough for the loaches to enter and exit easily, but much too small for the goldfish. also, if you add an air line to the tank and place the airstone inside the ornament, it will help keep water circulating through the ornament and keep the environment inside clean and safe for the loaches. :)
another option would be a small ceramic pot on its side, with plants around the entrance. that would make it a goldfish-safe cave but also let your loaches have a hideout.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
My biggest loaches are probably bigger around than my smallest goldfish, if you can believe that. The ceramic pot idea is a good one, though I'd imagine for now they'll cope with the shelter from my wood pieces alone. Thanks again.

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
Glad your Goldie's ok! I lost a Loach in a piece of driftwood that way. I'd have never believed the Loach could get in the tiny crevice he got into :-( Time to go double-check all decorations.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
For those interested the doofus fish is looking unphased by the ordeal. I'm watching warily for signs of infection, but behavior is completely normal. Hopefully the wounds will heal up at a healthy rate.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I've retired the castle ornament, and found a clay pot as per suggestion. It looks less tacky anyways.

If I hadn't seen a goldfish healing from physical damage before, I might have been more surprised by the dark spots that are forming around the wounds. Looks like she's well on her way to growing some new scales.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store