Need advice for a salt water dip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Hi there,
My CL's have had Ich for about a month now...maybe even longer
I've used Kordon Ich attack for about a month and for the past week I've stopped using the medicine (all the other fish are showing no signs and have not been for the past 1.5 weeks) but my biggest and favourite Clown Loach still has about 4 spots that haven't moved since the Ich was first spotted

for the past 2 weeks I've been soaking their food in Garlic Guard and their immune systems seem to keep them from getting re-infected but the bigger guy can't seem to push off those last 4 spots he has...but to answer the question no it has not spread on him at all nor any of the other fish in the tank

I've been told to do a salt water dip for 15 mins with my biggest clown loach and was told that you can actually see the parasites fall off

My question here is quite simple (as I'm not really trusting on the source)
Do you suggest I do this? and if so...how much salt should I add for a 7.5 gallon bucket (I have no free tanks and my 15g is full of guppies)

the man from the LFS told me after doing the salt dip with the clown loach to put him inside the guppy tank (where there are no clown loaches and no infection / parasites whatsoever) because the stress from the treatment could leave him weak and is very easy to get re-infected

I am also sceptical about just putting him in my 15g guppy tank for 2 obvious reasons...Ich spreading to the guppies and the Clown Loach being unhappy and aggressive (he was quite aggressive to the zebras I had before I got him 4 other smaller clown loaches and now he schools and eats with them)

What do I do? :help:

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
don't mean to be a bugger...but I have 3 hours until I go home and my modem just died 2 days ago at home...I only have internet at work for the time being

can anyone help me before I go home for the day?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
No point at all in doing a salt water dip for ich. The tank water is going to be swarming with parasites, and even if the spots did drop off (which sounds like nonsense to me), they'd be reinfected as soon as they went back in.

All you'd achieve is stressing the fish and giving your guppies the disease.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I've been at this for so long I'm willing to try anything -_-

what do you suggest?

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the last 4 spots have not dropped off?
how long has it been?

the life cycle of Ich can vary with water temp.
but a salt bath may not have much affect on the adult stage(white spot) as it is buried under the skin of the host.

the treatment cycle may vary depending on how you choose to treat. but many suggest running the treatment for 10-14 days.

heat and salt are the preferred method but other meds do work.

Kordon Ich attack recommends to use for 4-5 days after the last parasite has fallen off.

my guess is it will hit the free swiimming 'baby' parasite.

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
A full month of ich meds? I'm shocked you didn't kill the Loaches with the 1st 2 days worth. I honestly wonder if it's even ich. Ich's life cycled is 3-5 days. I wonder if it's something else you're dealing with. If it is in fact ich (can't imagine). I would do nothing except 2 TBS salt per 5 gal water and turn the temp up to 87 degrees. Then leave it for 10 days except for water changes in which you salt the replacement water at the same dose. That's how I've treated Loaches with ich. There's so much inacurrate info coming from all sides and all sources that I don't blame you for not knowing what to do. I still wonder if it's not ich at all though.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
sorry I did leave a lot of info out from my other thread

Kordon Ichattack is herbal ich med and is safe up to 3 times the normal dose (even for loaches) for a duration of 4 weeks with the temperature at 84 degrees constantly...which is why i stopped when it didn't dissapear and went to garlic guard to try and get his immune system up to possibly fend off those last 4 spots...which didn't seem like a bad idea because the spots cleared up from the other loaches very quickly and they have not been re-infected since

it has been about 5 weeks since I started using Kordon ich attack and I've been soaking the food in garlic for about 1.5 weeks and have not used Ichattack for about a week now

the other fish were infected also at first but the ichattack cleared all their spots in about a week (like the meds said)
problem is the big guy...who was also the first to be infected never really got rid of those original spots (i distinctly remember one in the middle of his tail fin and it just dropped off last night) which is why I assumed his immune system was failing...he was also hiding all day long up until 4 days after the garlic guard feedings started

now he is very active and outside schooling with the other loaches

I'm going to assume that the herbal content of the ich medication and the fact that you are able to dose up to 3 times daily (even with loaches) makes the potency of the med a lot weaker compared to some more serious ich medicines (which was also my reason for choosing this medicine to be honest...i wanted to make sure the loaches would survive first and foremost)

I hope that helps the diagnosis...and I'm sorry for not providing full information

Sincerely,
Taylor

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Herbal meds are very popular these days but the jury's out on how effective some of them are, for fish as much as for people.

Meanwhile I would suggest a couple of possibilities about these remaining spots. I would hesitate to raise the temperature because if you've got a secondary columnaris infection that could be a death sentence for the fish. I think a photo is really required at this stage.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly on the herbal meds...and I doubt I will use this stuff again tbh
salt + heat seems way more effective versus the $50 worth of herbal ich remedy I've juiced into my tank
needless to say I've learned my lesson

even with a photo there are 4 spots...and they're impossible to see cuz the clown's won't stay still long enough to get a solid pic

short of physically grabbing him and getting stuck by his spines I don't know what I can do...

There is 1 spot on his nose, 1 that was on his tail fin for weeks and just dropped off yesterday as far as I saw during this mornings feedings
and he has 2 spots on his left side just under his dorsal fin (they are very close together)

If you really think a pic will help...I'll try but I can almost guarantee 99.9% that it won't come out looking like a fish but more of a orange and black blur...they are hella fast

I've tried taking numerous pictures with my phone over the last 5 days and about 10% of those pics you can actually see the fish...nevermind getting close enough to see 4 ich spots

the fact that the one spot dropped off his tail fin (and I'm 100% sure it was there during the whole treatment...it was the first spot I noticed and from there it began to spread to other fish and the big guy seemed to be getting the worst of it) should I assume the garlic guard is boosting his immune system enough to fully fight the last 3 spots?

I greatly appreciate everyone's concern for this situation...i've had one heck of a time trying to rid this tank of ich and I'm really at my whits end...if that larger clown dies I'll just return the rest of them...He's the pack leader and has by far the best personality out of all of them...
I'll be devastated if he dies -_-

Last edited:

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
ok home time
I'll try to get a pic with my wife's camera...maybe hers will be better quality...but i doubt i can get them to stay still without grabbing him...maybe during feeding as he grabs a pellet or something

wish me luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store