Black Clowns losing color???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johnsonz681

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Ok, help me calm my nerves if you can. I got two juvi black clowns about a week or two ago.

Let me explain their normal behavior before I explain the problem. One fully barred, and one half (mis-barred I guess?) During daylight and actinic time, the misbarred is barely active just chillin out in the flow, and the full bar is always crazy acting, darting here and there eating whatever tiny particles he can find.

For the past two nights I've gone into the room late and noticed them both in the bottom corner on top of each other, well it looks more like the mis-barred is almost trapping the other one. While this is going on the full barred is almost completely white and pale looking! If I tap on the glass or turn the light on, they both come out of the corner and act normal, and his color comes back. Is this normal???

Water is perfect, 79 degrees, 1.024-25, 8.3, no ammonia/trates.

I just want to make sure this is normal. They are so cool and fun to watch, not to mention twice the price of normal clowns, I don't want to lose one or both.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

johnsonz681

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Just to add, they are completely normal during the day, and at night only the fully barred loses his color, and he is always under the other.

bsmith

AC Members
May 29, 2007
STL
I dont think they like your shirt....

Seriously if this charter dude would let me off the phone I would tell you that I dont know anyhing about saltwater fish. Maybe their mating.

johnsonz681

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Doubt it, they're only like 2-3 months old I think. Good luck wit the cable.

But this fish looks like a ghost sometimes. Maybe it's the Michael Jackson of clownfish. No offense to anyone, I liked him too.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If there is no milky looking substance over the surface of the clown ( which could possibly mean brooklynella ), i would say that the color loss is prob just due to a little stress of how the clowns are laying when the lights are out....

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
my one did this and has since passed ,.. but there was something wrong with his breathing ,.. i think its stress for the female was chasing him away from her cave,.. and he was sick and wanted to be with her,.. i could see him turning pink and when i tapped on the glass his color kinda got dark again,.. but it paled again evert time he couldn't breathe, he was lying on his side in the sand,..

johnsonz681

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
No milky substance, no breathing trouble. They completely get along all day long, then the lights go out (lunar lights still on) and there they go to one corner in the bottom and he or she is pale again on the bottom.

johnsonz681

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Cool, thanks a lot. I think ur right. He just kinda seems stressed from bein bullied a little. But during the day, he's the crazy one. Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store