Interesting Clarkii Clownfish behavior worth talking about

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
So I've had a Clarkii Clownfish for about two weeks now and since I put him in I've been noticing my sand has been moving around quit a bit. I figured it was the new clownfish and tonight I finally caught him in the act. It's real bizarre, he'll get real close to the sand, open his mouth real large and then latch on to a near piece of live rock. Then he'll kick his tail real fast and stir up the surrounding sand. He only does it for about two seconds. Anyone seen anything like this before? I found it real strange. I have him in a 30 gallon with a Valentini Puffer and a Bicolor Psuedochromis, FWIW.

jabberjaw

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
this happens with the clarkii's in my tank almost every night ... they don't latch onto anything as you've mentioned, but do the tail spray thing in the sand...
I've got no info as to the what or the why, but I guess it must be somewhat of a common occurance with that species...

JamieB

JamieB
Oct 9, 2005
currently in another Orbit
I think they bring up any food remnants from gravel or sand and it's quick eats!:thumbsup:

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
all the damsels i've had have done that.. I had some that would make tunnels and caves in the sand and scare off any intruders. they would literally make piles of sand in the corners of the tank leaving the middle bare bottom so you could see the glass.. but that was when they got bigger and more adult. as juvi's they only kicked it up.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
he's making caves.. normal stuff

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store