Orange Chromides

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
I have a 55 gallon brack tank with 2 adult archers, 3 sailfin mollies and a figure 8 I might set up another one with glassfish and possibly some orange chromides.

what kind of temerment are they and who would they rather be housed with? the archers or the mollies or would they be better off by themselves?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I've only done them as species tank residents, so can't say much about compatability. For Cichlids they are quite mild-mannered.

I used very light brackish (largely so that I could keep FW plant there as well) and had successful breeding. The fry feed in part off the adult's slime coats (like discus). Vey nice smallish Cichlids, the orange varity is really showy.

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
OK.. when I posted I didnt realise the rarity of them in the local stores, so I just bought a small school of glassfish and put them in the 55.....my days of slacking on the cleaning schedule are now over :(

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
If you do ever find the chromides and decided to get them, mine won't let anyone else live in the tank that shares their middle swimming space. I ended up with a breeding pair and had to take everyone else (except the gobies & flounder) out of the tank. The poor 3rd chromide, he ended up odd-man-out and now lives in the spare tank normally used for hospital services. Mine have bred successfully but the babies didn't survive past about 2-3 weeks. Not sure if that was my fault or just nature.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I had a breeding pair (one died), but when they were breeding they would chase everyone away from the corner that they laid their eggs, (they dug a pit in the sand around a plant and had laid their eggs on the lower leaves) that was in a 90 gal tank.
The Puffers finally got to the eggs and ate them, once that had happened the rest of the fish joined in.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
Mine get live worms every night. The parents had half the batch to care for and then I had the other half in a breeder net (rescued from the filter). Every day I would notice fewer and fewer babies until I was down to 4 in my net and they disappeared the next day. :confused: :confused:

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
My fish are spoiled they have light 24/7.
I have it cycled.

Night (18" black light)
Dawn (18" full spectrum)
Midmorning (2, 48" f.s.)
Noon/Afternoon (2, 48" f.s., 1, 18" f.s.)
Late Afternoon/ (2, 48" f.s.)
Evening (18" f.s. 48" b.l.)
Late Evening (18" b.l., 48" b.l.)
Night (18" b.l.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store