moving fish (different waters)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DougElam

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2009
has anyone had experience moving fish and fish tanks from city water over to well water. we have to move about 10 miles from our appartment to a house. we will be moving buttikoferi, kenyis and some other assorted cichlids. i know to do the common tests to the water, and i will try to save as much of the water and trasfer what i can. is there anything i should look out for? thanks!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I remember on another thread where someone had problems with well water since it sits for long periods of time so its oxygen depleated (I know I butchered that word) so they suggested putting water in a tub or trash can and adding an air pump a day prior then you could use that water for the WC. Not sure if this is with all well water but something to look out for if your fish start gasping for air.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
One consideration is that fish generally tolerate a rapid rise in pH much better than a rapid drop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store