Why is Big Al's so popular?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I see it mentioned here all of the time. Never heard of it otherwise. I went ot their site and didn't find it to be extraordinary. Are they primarily a Canadian distributor?

Also, whatever happened to MOPS (Mail Order Petshop)? Last I heard they closed up shop in the US but remained active in Canada. I called that 1-800-FON-PETS number at least 100 times to place orders back in the 80's.

These days I typically use Dr. Foster & Smith since they have good prices (especially sales) and ship quickly using FedEx (which also delivers on Saturday as opposed to UPS).

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
big als is the cheapest, cheaper than anyone and i think they will beat any price. i live in the southwest to it takes like 2 weeks for shipping thats the only bad thing. never treid fostersmith but i brought from thatfishplace.com before that was a pretty good one.

Prometheus

Luke 22:35-36
Nov 3, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
Originally posted by blitzen25bm
big als is the cheapest, cheaper than anyone and i think they will beat any price.
Yep.

Shipping to Indiana took 1 week...

Toro Driver

AC Members
May 9, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
I have not purchased from Big Als, but surfing there site drives me nuts. I used Drsfoster&Smith for my canister filter and was so impressed I used them for other items. Petsmarts online store has great prices as well.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Yup. Cheap prices on filters. Got my Fluval from them. Took about four days to get to New Hampshire.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I'm not far from Big Al's' headquarters where they supposedly ship from and it seems to take them 1 week...

...If I order from Drs. Foster & Smith, it only takes them about 2-3 days to reach me. Which one do you think I pick? :)

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
I can't stand the way that Big's Als catalog is arranged and price is relative, they are cheaper on some things, high on others, and about the same as everyone else for the rest. I like using Foster's and Smith and That Fish Place, and occasionally even Pet Solutions better. ;)

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I've never been to the Big Al's website, but I live in Vancouver and there are 2 giant 'warehouses' within 45 mins of me. I like them because they specialize in fish and fish products, where as all of the other local stores around here are for all pets. Huge fish selection, giant shark tank! I didn't buy my new tank there because they were about $30 more expensive than my lfs. But overall they have knowledegable people working there and take good care of thier fish.

fishfood

Jerk
Sep 18, 2002
Ohio
I also use DrsFosterSmith and have been really pleased. Last time, I placed an online order at 11PM on a Sunday night and UPS (or maybe it was FedEx?) delivered the package at 7:00PM on Tuesday evening. I was really impressed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store