Pleco tail rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
One of the plecos in a mixed Africans tank (yellow lab, red jewel, boryeli, blue peacock) has a ragged tail. It looks like shredded, split or frayed, instead of the usual lyretail sail look.

None of its fins or anything else look unusual, and it actually looks good overall, seems healthy, active, etc.

It has thrived in the tank for over a year, and the community has been constant for quite a while, with no new fish added. No other problems with any of the fish.

What do you think? Should I just watch it for a while, put something like Melafix into the tank, or should I put it in a hospital tank for more serious treatment?

Thanks.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Since you say its supposed to have a lyretail, lyretail or fish with laong fins are prone to getting fin problems with the water quality is even a bit bad. But since you say it looks shredded and split then i would suspect that your africans are going after it,especially if it had a long tail fin.

I would keep up with water changes, add a bit of melafix and watch to see if the fish are picking on him. If you see that your africans have started picking on him its best to take the pleco out as i have heard stories of plecos getting their eye eaten or bristlenose plecos getting their bristles eaten.

marsupialvomit

PARTY CAT!!!!!
Dec 13, 2003
Ohio
www.angelfire.com
no it's not quality, i guarente it. It's getting picked on hardcore. Unless you accomadate the space for all the creatures of you aquarium it's not going to end good.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
Thats a bit harsh. How do yo uknow its not water quality? they didn't give us the tanks parameters. They also didn't give us atnak sizee so how do yo uknow there isn't enough space for all their fish?

Its probably that after a year the africans are now almost full grown and decided they didn't like the pleco anymore and started picking on it. But that doesn't leave out the possibility that the pleco damaged its tail and if the water quality is down got fin rot.

you can't say things like
no it's not quality, i guarente it
untill you know the water test results

fdiaz78

AC Members
Dec 28, 2003
Naples, FL
Visit site
Originally posted by marsupialvomit
no it's not quality, i guarente it. It's getting picked on hardcore. Unless you accomadate the space for all the creatures of you aquarium it's not going to end good.
Please do not take offense, but you seem to give out alot of bad advice, bordering on irresponsible. I recomend you please practice caution and take the time to think over your postings as many beginners including myself can be negatively affected. I only mean this in a positive constructive manner. Have a good day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store