Splinter in Clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

woohoo7676

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
Hey guys,

I just noticed that my one of my clownfish has what looks to be like a splinter or spine sticking out of his face :'( He's occasionally thrashing around trying to get it off - should I do anything about it/try to get it off myself?

Here's a picture of it:

Please help! Thanks =)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Could potentially do more harm trying to get it out. I'd leave it alone and observe for normal feeding behavior. Also watch to make sure the site doesn't get infected.

woohoo7676

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
Gotcha - he managed to get it dislodged, but it appears to be attached by a thread now. I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks for the advice =)

Any guesses as to what it is? Just wondering if there's some worm or some other creature I need to hunt down?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Doesn't appear to be anything that detrimental. Again, observe it. if you notice any growth, infection, etc. coming from the site, then I might worry. In any case, large external parasites are easily treated in most cases.

woohoo7676

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
Update: he managed to shake it off completely! =) I'll still keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't get infected or anything, thanks for all the advice guys - I'll tell him to stay away from the wood next time...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store