UV sterilizer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Ive heard about a couple from my LPS, I personaly like the doublehelix brand becuase I have heard of a lot of good things about them, and thats what my LPS recomended as the best one.

also overheard someone talking about a tetrathek or somthing, I forget the name, he said it was a good in as well.

I know they have the doublehelix brand at bigal's, dont know about the other though.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
80gJoe
How do you have it set up, ie. bring water into the doublehelix? powerhead?

ttl

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
The UV filter is running in-line with my canister filter - on the oulet side of the filter. It's under the aquarium right next to the Filstar XP3 canister filter. There's an indicator light on the unit. I'm running mine for about 9 hours a day. I have it hooked up on a timer that also controls the rear lights on the aquarium.
It was no problem hooking it up to the canister. You can also use a powerhead, but that would be too much flow for my tank.
I am interested on how people use their UV filters. Meaning, how long they run them? Every day, twice a month, hourly?

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Joe,
I run mine for about 4-6 hours after doing a water change. Just as a precaution I guess. Since I'm vaccuming when I'm doing a water change I'm stirring up alot of stuff sometimes.

I'm glad to hear that hooking in line with the out put hose is working for you. I did the powerhead way for a while, but a friend of mine at the lfs told me to try it this way. It keeps it cleaner on the inside longer. So it's more effective since you are pushing filtered water thru it and no large debris.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Thanks Tyler,

Sounds good, less chance of debris getting in the UV S...
I think I will lessen the time it is on. One other thing, is it possible to have it on too much? Hmm.. :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store