High nitrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
What would you do with a high nitrate level, when all other tests (PH, Alk, Hardness, Calcium, Nitrite, Ammonia, salinity) are good?

Live rock, live sand, fish and reef tank with soft corals only, and some shrimp and algae critters.

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Yes, I do regular water changes, and the tank does not have a very large bio load, though recently I may have overfed and also had the skimmer off for a couple of weeks.

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Seachem makes a product called de-nitrate, wich you use in filters. It is supposed to reduce your amonia, and nitrate levels. I have never used it, but I got on here tonight to see if anyone has. My nitrates are 2.5 ppm (which is low). I have horable algae bloom. From what I have read, and can tell is cyano. what I have is a brown super thin film that has covered everything, and you can fan your hand by it, and it looks like brown dust. This also is not growing in shadows. I wanted to use this de-nitrate to help drop my nitrates to 0.

Has anyone used denitrate?

Will it harm corals or inverts?

Do you use it along with carbon?

Does my algae bloom sound like cyano?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I have not heard anything about de-nitrate, but I am leery of any "magic" solutions like that. My nitrate has never dropped below 10 ppm in 2 years, and I have very little "bad" algae. I also have a sizable herbivore population, which I think helps a lot.

105man,
How high is "high?" How much water do you change and how often? Have you seen a change now that you have cut the feeding and started skimming again?

widdledink

Graphic Design sluth
Sep 23, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
I have use the de-nitrate in my system...and well have found it to be kind of a farse. It hasn't reduced my nitrates at all even though it has been in my filter for about 4 months. The package says that it will not kick into effect untill after 4 weeks or some lengthy time like that. I don't recomend it because it hasn't worked for me. As far as the harmfulness towards corals and such...I don't believe there are any kinds of warnings towards it use. Infact there isn't much info on the container at all. So IMHO...It is no better than snake oil!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store