Black Crowntail Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gourami85

AC Members
Jun 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
So I was out earlier this morning and came across what seems to be a black crowntail betta. Has anyone else ever seen a black betta? Is he actually black or a really dark blue?

I found him quit interesting so I brought him home with me. I took a couple of picture, but they didn't come out too well, probably poor lighting and the fact that I still have him in his cup. I need to look around and see what tanks I have that I can set up for him. Most of mine are in my parents garage, but they live down the street so I think I'll set up his new home this weekend. :)

Just thought I'd share.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
that is a black betta.

you cannot breed two black bettas though; for some reason, the recessive trait is fatal if two black bettas are bred. the only way to get black bettas by breeding is by crossing two bettas that are heterozygous for the trait, i.e they are carriers of the gene but are some other color.

bettalover

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
wow i have never seen a black betta before. he looks good.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
The first one is Bubbles and the second one is his brother Max.

betta1.jpg

betta4.JPG

bqtta.jpg

betta1.jpg betta4.JPG bqtta.jpg

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Jacki they are stunning, too. I had no idea that there were Bettas that dark. Beauties! You have such cool fish!

Luvbugz

The Suicidal Townie
Apr 18, 2007
Indiana
My crown tail has a black body, but white tail. I thought for sure his body would turn more blue once he got some good food in him, but nope he has stayed black. His

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Gorgeous bettas. I love black bettas and I have two at the moment. I almost purchased another one the other day but decided against it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store