Cardisoma guanhum (Barbados Giant Land Crab) Build Thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeeSeven

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
CT
heres my build thread for these guys...mainly its going to be a bunch of pictures and some rambling along the way...

Background on the Crab

(snipped from an online source)

Cardisoma guanhumi grows roughly 5 inches wide and 4 inches long, weighing 1lb on average, though males are generally larger than females. As a juvenile, it is typically tan or brown in color with orange legs. As an adult, its coloring ranges from blue to violet, though some females are white or ashy gray. Its body, protected by a smooth carapace, consists of a cephalothorax and abdomen. Connected to its cephalothorax are five pairs of biramous appendages covered with tactile setae, each of which are sturdy and longer than the width of the cephalothorax. At its front are two pairs of antennae and two pincers, one larger than the other. The larger pincer in males can reach 12 inches in length. The difference in pincer size notwithstanding, Cardisoma guanhumi is bilaterally symmetric.

Feeding

Despite their nasty appearance they actually are vegetarians, preferring tender leaves, fruits, berries, flowers and some vegetables. Occasionally they will eat beetles or other large insects.

Set-up

I'm taking 2 Rubbermaid Wheeled Storage Totes and cutting the ends off...then gluing them together. On the far side of one put down a plastic tub of sorts and fill it with saltwater..then line the rest with aspen bedding

Ill have more information when this shipment comes in..its looking at next week at some point..I'm waiting for my importer to ship it out..here are some pics of the crabs..these arent the crabs I'm getting..these are just "stock" photos..aka what they look like not MINE

324982.jpg 2630317374_fe747a1d1d.jpg

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
VERY interesting! Can't wait to see more! Sounds like these guys get pretty big. On the plus side, if they ever outgrow their containment, you can make a nice dinner for two. :D

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Amazing! I can hardly wait.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
take lots of pix!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
The adults of this species are very nice looking. I look forward to seeing your build.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store