Black Moor eye problem. Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Poik

Registered Member
Jul 11, 2009
I have 2 Black moor in a 20gallon tank with 2 other fish and a snail all pretty darn heathy. But today I noticed that my both my black moors seem to have a black dusty film over both their eyes.

I worry that they may be going blind. D:
I've had them for about 2 years.
And I feed them 2 times a day.

I have a filter that's running just fine and 2 plastic plants in the tank.

What should I do?
Is it some sort of disease?
Please help.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
:welcome: to AC, Poik!

Could you please tell us your water parameters? This covers ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. These are extremely important variables as water quality influences the health of your fish. I suggest using API liquid master test kit to determine your water parameters and avoid test strips as much as possible to give you better assurance of your water quality.

What filter do you use? What's the turnover rate and what filter media are in there? How often do you clean your tank? How much water volume is replaced? Do you siphon the bottom? These are also very important. Inadequate filtration often is a result of poorly maintained tanks.

There are brands of filter that fail to work to the standards despite their claim. This must be double checked to make sure your filtration capacity can cope with the amount of wastes excreted by your tank stocks.

How big are your goldfish? What species are the other fish and then the snail? I am sorry to say this but a 20g is rather cramped even for two goldfish.:( Considering goldfish themselves do not stay small (which is why fishbowls are impractical nowadays) at 8 to 24 inches range, a general guideline for fancy types should be at least fifteen gallons per fish whereas pond types need at least twenty gallons per fish. Previous debates have been offered that the fancy types need a minimum of at least ten gallons per fish. While this point of argument does prove itself feasible, giving more allowance for space would be a much better option for the goldfish.

The above paragraph does not mean you can freely utilize the spare fifteen and twenty gallon tanks for goldfish. Those tanks are still very limited and you cannot keep goldfish in isolation as these are sociable by nature and unlikely to thrive for a long time if deprived of their company. With the number of goldfish suggested at two as the possible minimum, a 55g would be a best starting point for fancy goldfish whereas 75g would be the minimum for at least two to three pond types.

What do you feed your fish? This also helps us pinpoint any possible issues that may arise in connection with the suspected eye problems. Please include photos since they speak a thousand words and can save us a lot of time from speculating as we try to determine the problem.

Generally speaking, black smudges would mean skin damage from ammonia and nitrite especially ins substantially high levels which is why I asked for water parameters earlier to be sure that this may be the cause. If it is, your best option of countering the issue is by upgrading the tank and doing plenty of partial water changes in the meantime until you can freely upgrade. Seeing as your fish are black moors, the smudges are difficult to see in black goldfish than non-black ones so the eye problem may be just a hint of the poor water quality which is most likely your underlying problem.

If you hope to find larger tanks, Craiglist is your best bet as there are plenty of deals involved there for tanks.

Hope this helps!

Lupes

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store