bad to release a full size oscar into a pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
just wondering, would it survive if you put it in say like a big deep pond in NY, because Ive heard of people doing this when they get too big for their tanks.

fishfood

Jerk
Sep 18, 2002
Ohio
Do not release any aquarium fish into the wild! Most places this is illegal since they are a non native species. Take is to a fish store instead. A full size oscar will probably sell fairly quickly.

marsupialvomit

PARTY CAT!!!!!
Dec 13, 2003
Ohio
www.angelfire.com
yeah didn't you ever hear about the problem down in florida with the snakefish (or something like that) those non native *******s are reeking havok.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
i know i know, i took marine bio i know about the zebra shells getting into the ships ballast and then released into the lakes and blah blah, im just wondering if they could actualy survive the winter?? i work at a fish store, we sell them like hot cakes for 20 dollars , foot longers are almost the same price as the babies because we get them in all the time, too big for yer 10 gallon eh? ok well take it.. some college kid will buy it and impress his girls by feeding it

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Not to mention that the natives would tear it to pieces before long.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
This statement is not intended to encourage the release of aquarium fish into bodies of water.

Lakes and ponds within cities almost always contain many non-native fish. A pond here in town has 2-3 foot koi--and they most certainly survive the winters. If the water does not freeze solid or winter kill, hardy fish will survive. Wyoming does not have any tropical zones, but there are jack dempseys, mollies and guppies thriving in waters locally. Most are in thermal springs, but the temp still drops below 60 regularly, and these released fish thrive. The fact that they survive is secondary to why is should not be done--aquarium fish can introduce diseases and parasites into the wild, with devestating consequences. If you want to see tropical fish in ponds and streams, travel to their native countries and see them at their best.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
ill bet in the future, instead of dropping bombs on our enemies, well drop non native fish into their lakes and streams, boy that will make em mad!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store