Fire Belly Toad Tank Temperature Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

a1lane

AC Members
Jul 2, 2009
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting and I really like what I've seen on this forum.

I keep getting conflicting info on whether or not to heat the water. I see online at many sites not to heat the water but the local pet stores tell me that because they have been raised with warm temps I should have a heater.

Currently I have two firebelly toads I recently moved them from a small tank with a water bowl into a 40 long tank 60% water, 40% land. I am using a heater and the water temp is about 73; the tank is in my basement and without the heater the water would be about 68 degrees. I have a 40 watt day light and it keeps the land area about the same temp.

I am planning on putting 4 more fire belly toads and 2 fire belly newts in the tank. I know many people say not to put the newts and toads together but I have another tank I can move the newts to if there are problems. The local pet stores tell me the same thing about heating the water for the newts as they do the toads and I told them the info I see online says newts don't like their water heated and again they tell me about them being raised in warmer water.

Thanks for your help.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
First off I'd like to welcome you to AC! :)

I've had years of luck keeping FBT's in unheated tanks at room temperature but since you're keeping them in your basement, a heater is probably not a bad idea. The water temp should be in the low to mid 70's year round. Make sure if you do heat the tank you hide the heater some how to avoid the toads getting burns from it.

I would really recommend that you not mix FBT with FBN. They have conflicting habitat requirements and many newts are missing toes/tails from having close encounters with hungry FBT's. Best to keep the species separate in their own tanks.

a1lane

AC Members
Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I'll leave everything how I have it set then. They seem to be happy in their new home, I'm going to follow your advise and keep it a fbt only tank.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Sounds good to me. :)

You should post some pics of your setup and frogs! I know everyone would love to see them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store