2nd time Marble Veil angel attacked by sibling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Today one of my 6" marble vale angels was found beat up or sick at the bottom of the tank hiding during meal time while all the other fish were eating as normal. The tank is a 120 and pretty much a species tank comprised of 4 Marble and 4 Gold veil angels, two 6" silver dollars that keep to themselves, 2 ADF, and 4 Cory cats. This same 6" marble angel has been picked on before by his marble buddies who seem to be more aggressive then the 4 Gold veils. 1 particular Marble seems to nip at everyone at feeding time, even toward the larges Gold veil which is 8" seems to give this one 6" marble space. Anyway the one that was attacked had all his veils cut off like someone had used scissor to trim them down with strait cuts no tattered edges, breathing hard wedged between the plants. I removed this beat up Marble who like I said had been in the QT tank before 3 months ago for the same thing, and placed him in the QT today with a double dose of both Maracyn & Maractn-Two. He is worse off this time half floating and half swimming breathing hard. Funny no other signs of injury to fins except the vales all trimmed short like a regular angle. Water parameters are all very good and all the other fish are looking great and acting fine except that one bully. I may have to remove the bully to my new 80 tank when set up. The other angel that is sick is otherwise in good shape yesterday eating his share of frozen blood worms so he is stout color bite just cut and very weak.
Below the perpetrator

Below the victim, notice the veils trimmed short and cut strait. Anybody ever seen injuries like this?

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
It happens sometimes with Angelfish, they can be mean as hell to everything or co-specifics. I like to put the aggressor in QT for a couple of days and maybe transplant some plants or even adjust hardscape before putting him back, then it sort of resets the balance a bit.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I have never seen fins cut strait across before in fish attacks of other species, taters yes but never strait cuts. I wonder how and why they do it, you would think the pattern would be random. Anyway the QT fish has already perked up a bit with the double dose med cocktail and water at 85. Iv noticed a big difference using both Maracyn & 2, perhaps its the B-Complex Vitamins in 2 that perks them up so fast. I remember when I was dieing of Hepatitis B (non-infectious) in the Philippines from water contamination that they put me on intravenous vitamin B and within 6 hours I was able to sit up again and by 24 hours walking and fully recovered in 2 weeks (1979).

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've seen similar damage when a smaller is attacked by a larger angel(adult)

the fleeing fish folds it's fins back to escape the attacker grabs a mouth full.. bingo clean cut

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I didn't think he was going to make it since he was swimming vertigo like he was dieing (probubly was). 24 hours later with the double meds he has really perked up. Im too lazy to chnage the water for new meds so I m going to try and mount the AC70 that is an extra on my 80 tank. If and when I put him back I wish I could embody the this angel so I could go in the tank and target the perpetrator and teach him a lesson LOL. As soon as my new 80 tank is set up Ill be making some changes with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store