Maybe Ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
My Oranda Nibble has one white dot on this on one of his tail fins. I just noticed it like an hour ago today. I did just get him last week and he is the only fish in a completely 20 gal cycled tank. All levels expect NO3 are at 0ppm (I use API liquid master kit), NO3 is a little high so I have added plants and do water changes to reduce that. I do have aqaurium salt, and API Super Ich Cure. I obviously want Nibble to not get any worse so no further changes in apperance or behavior (he does have a healing split on part of his tail fin and I suspected some dorsal fin damage that is also healing but he had that when I purchased him but I can't get a good shot of him he moves way to fast), no fraying, no red streaks and eats like a pig when I feed him (not more than twice a day, gets Omega One pellets that are pre soaked and romaine lettuce which he will nibble on, but not eat completely.) My tank water temp swings from 78-80 during the day. Should I try the salt 1st or go straight to ich cure?

Sorry if it is a long post!

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Could someone delete the extra posts? My comp was freaking out and I didn't mean to triple post the exact same thing! Thanks!!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
My Oranda Nibble has one white dot on this on one of his tail fins. I just noticed it like an hour ago today. I did just get him last week and he is the only fish in a completely 20 gal cycled tank. All levels expect NO3 are at 0ppm (I use API liquid master kit), NO3 is a little high so I have added plants and do water changes to reduce that. I do have aqaurium salt, and API Super Ich Cure. I obviously want Nibble to not get any worse so no further changes in apperance or behavior (he does have a healing split on part of his tail fin and I suspected some dorsal fin damage that is also healing but he had that when I purchased him but I can't get a good shot of him he moves way to fast), no fraying, no red streaks and eats like a pig when I feed him (not more than twice a day, gets Omega One pellets that are pre soaked and romaine lettuce which he will nibble on, but not eat completely.) My tank water temp swings from 78-80 during the day. Should I try the salt 1st or go straight to ich cure?

Sorry if it is a long post!
Go with your aquarium salt. Be sure to dissolve salt thoroughly before adding and add it slowly. I'd stick to that temperature you have currently and treat for 10-14 days.

Could someone delete the extra posts? My comp was freaking out and I didn't mean to triple post the exact same thing! Thanks!!
It's the server issue. I deleted them.

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Should I remove enough water from the tank and dissolve it in that water or new chlorinated water? When you say slowly should I do it over the course of a few hours or just add a little bit everyday? When I do water changes I also add salt to replace what I take out right?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Should I remove enough water from the tank and dissolve it in that water or new chlorinated water? When you say slowly should I do it over the course of a few hours or just add a little bit everyday? When I do water changes I also add salt to replace what I take out right?
Use the tank water and keep stirring the salt until dissolved. Yes, over a course of 30 minutes will be fine until you reach the maximum recommended. I forgot to add I usually recommend a tablespoon per 5g as the dosage. As for last question, yes, you do that.

Please keep us updated. Fingers crossed!

Edit: Any pics of the white spot? It would be great to have the pic to be sure this is ich because I just realize one spot may not be ich unless you think this is really ich.

Last edited:

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
How much water should I remove to dissolve the salt in? Do I take 5g, dissolve all the salt needed in that and then slowly add the rest back or do it a take a 1g out at a time and add salt then put the water back until I have reached the proper dosage?

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
I did try to take a pic but he moves to fast in and it is on the other side of his body that he usually he doesn't present. I will try again though.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
How much water should I remove to dissolve the salt in? Do I take 5g, dissolve all the salt needed in that and then slowly add the rest back or do it a take a 1g out at a time and add salt then put the water back until I have reached the proper dosage?
A cup of tank water will do it. Put the divided portion of salt in there and keep stirring until dissolved, then slowly add to the tank. Repeat this process for the next set of divided portions of salt.

Er...I hope this makes sense. Still needs pics first before attempting to treat. I should have asked the picture first before recommending the treatment. *embarrassed*

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Don't worry. It is a good reference for me if it turns out he doesn't have it now and gets it later. Nibble likes to dart alot, so it has been a challange to get a clear picture of his tail. I am going to keep trying though, and I haven't done the salt treatment yet just in case.

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Just a little update the white spot is now gone. Poof! Like it was never ever there. He has no behavior changes, no signs on damgage to his tail. The white spot looked smooth and not jagged. I tried to take a picture and gave up today and filmed him instead.[YT]jptgMhrrINk[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store