Unidentified New Zealand anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steve Cook

AC Members
Jul 14, 2009
Hi there. I'm interested in finding out more about an image in the Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine: Short Take: Prospective Livestock for the Temperate Marine Aquarium: A Photo Essay, May 2009. Image 19 (Unidentified New Zealand anemone making good use of its sweeper tentacles.). The credit only says it can from this web site. Can anyone tell me who took the image, and where the anemone was photographed?

Cheers
Steve Cook

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It is actually a corallimorph, likely in the genus Corynactis. They are common in many temperate habitats-- Pseudocorynactis is the more commonly seen tropical genus.

Steve Cook

AC Members
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for your suggestion, but are you sure? Most of the beasties in the photos are indeed Corynactis. In New Zealand we have 4 recorded species, by far the most abundant one is C. australis (prev. C. haddoni), and this species is likely to to be responsible for that magnificent tank - actually there is also the possibility that what we're currently calling C. australis may in fact be a species complex. The striped pale brown job that I'm interested in also has a very clear capitulum, and catch tentacales, which I though could be a diadumenid.

Thoughts?

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They don't appear to be diadumenids at first glance. Closer pictures may show differently, but most appear have rounded or balled acrospheres on the tentacles, which is usually indicative of corallimorphs.

Is there a particular picture that you suspect contains a diadumenid anemone?

Steve Cook

AC Members
Jul 14, 2009
It certainly does, though I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) Mimetridium and Metridium don't have catch tentacles.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store