How exactly do canister filters work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emilyekk

AC Members
Apr 28, 2009
I guess what I am really asking is how they connect to the actual tank.

I know it would sit under my tank in the cabinet, but how do you connect the tubes to make them stay?

Also - I have a 55gal with an aquaclear 70 - do I also need a canister filter?

LuciferSam

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
They are usually held in by the design of the outflow, and intake pipes to not fall off, but are also held in place by suction cups usually.

And yes you can always have more filtration

LuciferSam

AC Members
Jun 4, 2009
I have personaly never used ones but have heard good things.
I can however recomend Eheim as i have neverhad one fail, even ones that are 20 plus years old.

emilyekk

AC Members
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for answering me so quickly about extra filtration never hurts. =)
I was bidding on ebay and luckily won the item so I am pretty excited.
I think I got a pretty good deal too, so yey! Hope I like it! I got the fluval 305 and I have a 55g.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Eheims are good. Mine is 5 years old and has taken plenty of abuse and still works fine. I expect at LEAST another 5 years from it. I also really like Fluvals. The maintenance is very easy. To disconnect the hoses, you unplug the filter, close a valve, and flip one latch, then you're free to open it up for cleaning and other maintenance. Much easier than my Eheim (although it still isn't bad either)

emilyekk

AC Members
Apr 28, 2009
Eheims are good. Mine is 5 years old and has taken plenty of abuse and still works fine. I expect at LEAST another 5 years from it. I also really like Fluvals. The maintenance is very easy. To disconnect the hoses, you unplug the filter, close a valve, and flip one latch, then you're free to open it up for cleaning and other maintenance. Much easier than my Eheim (although it still isn't bad either)

Easy is better for me, so I am glad to hear that, lol.

I am having some extreme buyers remorse right now (just for spending $100) lol, but I know in the long run it will be worth it.... I hope!!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
To be honest, I have not heard of any major canister brand (Rena XP, Eheim, Marineland C-series and HOT Magnums, Hagen Fluval) that does not work reasonably well. With filters, you get what you pay for really. Find what is available and within your budget and most likely it will work. JMO...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store