A poorly adonis pleco...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rossdagley

Registered Member
Dec 15, 2003
Hi Guys

Sorry to barge right in as my first post with a problem, but I'm a bit stuck ;)

I've been keeping fish of all sorts for many years (from goldfish to discus, and reef etc), but cant decide what's up with one of my old trusty friends, my adonis pleco. He possibly has some sort of eye infection, its like a white-ish circle, surrounding his eyes, right at the base, by the socket.

He's still eating fine, and looks otherwise ok - but obviously I'm a little concerned. I've been monitoring it for a few days, and it seems to be getting a bit worse, so don't want to leave it any longer.

He was a resident of my LFS for a while, whilst I moved house, and this kicked off just before I collected him the other day. I'm presuming he's either had a fight with something at the LFS, or he's picked up an infection. My tank is in good shape, and nothing else is looking poorly.

Should I just add some salt, up the temp a bit (currently 78 degrees) and wait a little longer?

Thanks for your help guys!

--Ross

PS excuse the poor picture quality - I never claimed to be a marine photographer! lol.

bad eye closeup1.jpg

rossdagley

Registered Member
Dec 15, 2003
Yeah, I've posted there too now following a pm from a helpful soul here. Thanks guys :D

--R

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's hard to tell, but is the eye extruding a bit? If so, I think it's a bacterial infection. The salt treatment, along with clean water, should clear it up. I probably would not raise them temp, though--the bacteria would grow better in warmer water, which you don't want. If it doesn't start getting better in 3 days, I would pull the fish into a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics--preferably a medicated flake, if he'll take them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store