Will pictus catfish school with other catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
the reason i ask is id like to be able to tell her apart from others but she is alone

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Not really, they tend to be more solitary and lazy than smaller cats
Huh?? that is pretty much the exact opposite of my experience with them. I've found them to be one of the much more active cats that I've had, and positively frenetic when they are kept singly (not really a good thing). I have a group of P. pictus and a group of P. blochii together and they intermingle somewhat, but the blochii are much larger so the pictus keep together and mostly stay out of the way.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
so id have to get other pictus or she wont school?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
so id have to get other pictus or she wont school?
If I understand your question correctly...yes, you need more than one fish to school. Granted, if your sig is correct I'm not sure of your 30 gallon would support more than one pictus.

pezzy

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
Hotlanta
that sucks. i would like to still tell her apart from the others but i want to make her happy as well

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
so...your main concern is that if you get more pictus cats, you won't be able to tell which one your original one is?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store