"had a snail" by aquarium products

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wigglejaggles

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
north tonawanda, ny
Visit site
hey now all,

I bought some plants today and the guy who sold them to me said that there may be snail eggs on them, so he suggested this product. I bought it as it was only 3 bucks. The main ingredient is copper.

Is this ok to use? I have the plants in a bucket with the solution. I didn't feel safe dropping this into the aquarium, although I don't believe copper bothers fish only invertebrates and amphibians right?

Is this product a safe bet?
take care,
Jared

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Invertebrates, including all shrimp, does kill some snails but not all, plus some plants and or harms the liver and/or gonads of some fish.

I would never under any circumstances use copper in a plant and fish tank.

You know those metals some water conditioners say they complex? - copper is one of those. At trace levels it is required, at higher levels it is toxic - the differential between toxicity for fish and toxicity for snails overlaps, there is no safe and clear gap between the two.

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Just a thought, but potassium pernanganate (usually in the pond section) is a bit easier on the plants as a dip. You just add enough to turn the water nice and pink. It is an exceptionaly good dye though....

wigglejaggles

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
north tonawanda, ny
Visit site
oh no

hey now,

thanks rtr!

Ok so what do I do now?

If I take the plants out and rinse them really well will they be ok to put in my aquarium?

Man oh man...I knew I should have waited on it until I talked to you guys on here.
its copper sulfate. that is the main ingrediant.

i guess aluminum sulfate is diffferent then? I rea don here that some use an aluminum sulfate.

I suppose the best bet would be to use plain old bleach? anyone know how much bleach for a gallon of water?

thanks

take care,
Jared

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would avoid any copper based product because you can also never be sure that you can get rid of it. There was a post not long ago where a person was using a freshwater tank for a saltwater setup and all their inverts kept dieing. It turns out sometime in the past a copper based ich medicine was used and that copper just wouldn't go away.

wigglejaggles

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
north tonawanda, ny
Visit site
:-(

Does this mean I have to throw away the anacharis that is soaking in the bucket?
Can I rinse the anacharis really well before I put it in the aquarium or should I not chance it?

thanks

take care,
jared

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
It'll be fine if you rinse it, there's no way it will be so concentrated that it'll be toxic in the tank. I personally would never use it straight in my tank, but if you rinse well and then put the plants in your tank it'll be fine. Plants need copper anyway, they will use it up eventually. It's also found in trace element fertilizers. I just don't trust medicines, especially not cheap ones.

But, I personally don't even try to get rid of snails. You'll just kill yourself trying. They may be a little annoying at first, especially in smaller tanks, but you get used to them. I don't mind the little buggers anymore. They don't really overpopulate, probably cause my fish are such pigs that there's never any leftover food litter.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
For bleach dip mix 1 part bleach and 19 parts water. Do not dip too long or the result is mush. Rinse well and then put into bucket with dechlor before planting.

wigglejaggles

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
north tonawanda, ny
Visit site
thanks!

Hey Now,

Thanks for all the info everyone. I rinsed the plants very well and they are in the aquarium now and look great!! I was shocked at how nice the anacharis looks...very very green!
I sure hope it stays that way!

So anyhow, again thanks for all the help!

take care,
jared

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store