Persistent Resistant Silvery "Slime" Patches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MTiffany

Swamp Thing
Jul 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Hi all,

My moor has "slime" patches on each side of his body. These areas have grown larger and larger over the last two weeks. They are resistant to Melafix, Pimafix, and TripleSulfa. Does anyone know what the heck this stuff is, and more importantly, how to treat it?

Sorry for the poor quality picture, put I wanted to give you some idea of what I'm dealing with here:

The area circled in yellow is the "slime" patch. I'm using the word "slime" because I don't know what else it could be. It's certainly not fuzzy; it looks very smooth.

pH 7.2
ammonia < 0.25
nitrite < 0.25
nitrate < 0
temp 20C (71F)

Any and all ideas as to the cause and treatment welcomed.

Thanks in advance...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Tiffany, we need more information about this.

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What test kit did you use?

3. How long the aquarium has been set up?

4. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

5. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

6. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

7. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

8. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

10. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

11. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

Regarding your water parameters, the results are vague to me. I cannot tell if your ammonia and nitrite are indeed zero or 0.25. The brackets given give a lot of confusion to the actual results. It just sounds like your tank is just beginning to cycle. Is this from the quarantine tank or the main tank? If this is from the quarantine tank, did you use established filter media at all? If this is the main tank, then your tank either is new and never got the necessary beneficial bacteria to help with the nitrogen cycle or you overdosed TripleSulfa that it obliterated all the beneficial bacteria. Could you please tell us the regimen you did on those treatments? The only other issue to those vague results is tampered or faulty test kit. If your test kit is tampered with or old already, I'd replace it with a new one. I would recommend using API liquid test kit to get the accurate results instead of using the test strips which is why I asked in no. 2 of the diagnostics form what brand you used.

Does the fish flash at all? Does it swim listlessly? Heavy secretion of slime would lead me to suspect costia, tetrahymena or chilodonella here but we need more details before we recommend any possible treatments.

I also moved your thread here so you will get better responses here from the goldfish enthusiasts who frequent this section.

MTiffany

Swamp Thing
Jul 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the quick response Lupin, but the fish is dead. Tossing tank and everything else. It's just been too much hassle, too much nonsense, for too little enjoyment.

But everyone here has been really great. Thanks again. The AQ community is a great resource.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
MTiffany, I think you were likely looking at a columnaris infection. I wrote about my experiences with it awhile back:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134928

You may want to have a look at it for future reference, in case this is what your fish had, so you know how to treat in the future.

I'm sorry to hear your fish passed away. Best of luck you to with any future wet pets. :)

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
Don't give up! If you prepare right and have all the right stuff it will bring so much enjoyment to you. When you get it sorted out they are great, each fish has so much personality, they grow to know you and love you. Everytime I walk past my tank they swim up to the glass and wait for food, if you watch them they do so many silly things that you could probably write a book about them...honestly! Maybe if you're so ready to give up, start again? Completely clear out the tank, give it a really good clean, start cycling afresh etc. This is a great hobby, it just takes a bit of learning to get into it, then when you're into it it's the most relaxing thing in the world.

MTiffany

Swamp Thing
Jul 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks again to everyone that took the time to respond. Like I said before: the AQ community is a great resource. You all are the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store