Brevis Dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
So the LFS finally got some full grown Brevis in but only had a pair. I wanted to start with several adults but I went ahead and bought the pair while I had the chance. This was Saturday. The male is staying out of the shell for extended periods of time and has pretty much established his territory. He's eating and displaying to other fish. The female however, has been in the shell the entire time. The male lords over her and every time she tries to come out he pushes her back in. I know she's not getting much to eat.
Here's the dilemma: Do I trust my instinct that she will eventually bully her way out and eat, or do I try to seperate them by moving the shell or something? I'm worried that she won't be able to defend herself against the rest of the tank, but I'm also worried that she's not going to be able to eat with homeboy blocking her in. Anyone else ever had this problem?

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
He spends a fair amount of time inside the shell. I considered that perhaps she had eggs, the shell came with them of course... I suppose I'll end up giving it 10 days or so. By then there will either be fry, she will have bullied her way out, or I'll have to take action. Hopefully she's got eggs, that would populate my tank quickly ):

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds like eggs Bro mine did the same thing when they did breed..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
mine did that, but no eggs. my brevis sucked at breeding. the female randomly died one day. i think the male killed her though. my caudopuncts are displaying breeding behavior but there is never anything as a result of this. why?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Austin it can take up to a year before they get it right buddy give em time.. I traded mine today to a friend a breeding pair of Caudopunct's for 5 Paracyps i still have to look up the info he told me but i have forgotten what he said they were just know they are paracyps.. hehehe but they are cool..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
are they paracyprichromis nigripinnis? cuz thats what i got. he has some fungus on his head right now so i stripped the tank and am treating it with melafix and waterchanges either everyday or every other day depending on my schedual and if the tank looks to need it. its already healing. they are a beautiful fish, but mine is by itself and isnt so colorful but every now and again he shines. i paid 18.50 for him and decided i wouldnt be able to buy a group cuz i just odnt have the money. they are awsome though

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Dam that much really wow i got 5 of them and yes thats what he said they were you reminded me when you listed the name so in reality i paid 3 bucks a piece for the Caudopunct's and i traded a pair for five paracyps nigripinnis so i got 5 paracyps for 6 bucks wow that's a steal aye..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Holy Molly, Pitt! You are a non-stopping trade engine!!!

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Just wait til i get to the ACA next week i will be in fish auction paradise i am ready to drop some money aye.. :headbang2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store