Tang keeps picking at groupers fins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sdave1284

AC Members
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Just wondering, but has anyone ever seen their yellow tang pick at another fish's tail or fins? He is doing it to my brand new Miniatus Grouper (beautiful fish) and now his tail fin has a small split in it and it has some fraying. His top real fin has an uneven edge now and the bottom fin did have a split but it has already healed in the past few days. The weird thing is this big grouper is letting a tang do this to him. My water levels are normal and I dont believe it is fin rot because one of my fish had it before and all their fins start to look bad. Also the groupers side fins look great, not one spot, and the other fins look perfect except for what small spots I mentioned. I just want to know if there is a way to stop the tang from doing this? I dont want this beautiful fish distroyed by a tang. Will the fins heal without medicine? Can this make the grouper sick or die? I try to avoid medicine at all costs now because it destroyed my biofilter and caused me to have to let the tang cycle again with the fish in it. Very stressful. Thanks for any info.

Dave

widdledink

Graphic Design sluth
Sep 23, 2003
Chattanooga, TN
My Y-Tang hasn't nipped at any of his tank mates as of yet...but he has impaled one of my 3 striped damsels just below it dorsal fin. Noticed it about a couple of weeks ago but the damsel seems to be doing fine.

My tang is a nervious fish and spastic...I think it is ADD.

:)

sdave1284

AC Members
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Well mines pretty crazy too but i'm ready to pull him out and just give him to the LFS (if I can catch him). I do not want to loose the grouper for a tang.

liquafaction

AC Members
Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
My tang picks at anything that gets near his veggie clip. My hawk fish hangs out on top of the tangs veggie clip, and that usually provokes a chase.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
The only way a Tang would pick at a fish is if it is under fed or if the other fish has stolen its hole. I have a Yellow Tang, 2 Blue Hippo Tangs, 1 Sailfin Desjardinii Tang and a Clown Tang and none pick at anyone. They are in different tanks and with different fish but none pick on anyone else. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

sdave1284

AC Members
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
He seems well fed. Maybe I'll try a different food for him. What about the fins healing? Can the grouper die from the fraying fins?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
No, groupers are generally the ones delivering frayed fins. All fins will completly reheal. Just make sure you feed the tang really nutritious green foods. My tangs get frozen Formula One, Formula Two, Spiralina Formula, Angel Formula, and occasionally Trigger form. In addition they get Julian Sprung Sea Veggies (red, green, and brown) 3 times a week. Anyway, hope this helps and I have attached a pic of my Clown Tang.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store