PLEASE HELP!!! MY GOLDFISH IS HURT!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Camanche, My red capped Oranda has got himself into quite a mess.
Last night, I didnt feed them like I normally do. I was fasting them to give them peas today. But He went searching and wedged himself behind the peice of driftwood and under the airbubble bar. I think he was there most the night. I honestly thought he was dead, he was so stuck he couldnt even wiggle. I have no clue how he did it. So my hubby moved the driftwood and he swam slowly out. Talk about RELEIF. but now the trouble, his 'wen' (i think thats what its called) is very white and torn up. And he is swimming like he also hurt his side fin, same side that the wen is damaged. So i wouldnt be surprised if it were damaged. Hes eating fine, Just having trouble swimming lopesided a bit and the wen looks bad, awful torn up.

I thought about treating him with melafix. Problem lies there is that I just finished a treatment of melafix beginning of the week for a spot on Othello that someone had picked on him and the LFS told me melafix. I cant wait to get my new tank friday. I do not have a hospital tank to put him in. I have no way to get a hospital tank either.

Please help me help him!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I would get rid of the the driftwood and other decorations with holes. There is no telling when the fish attempts to wedge itself again in them. Arrange the other decorations so there will be no more death traps. Don't place the decorations around corners where small gaps are a welcome site for deaths and heavy injuries.

If you have a spare tank or rubbermaid tub, place him there and maintain clean water. Operate it with a sponge filter only unless your room temperature (if you have chiller/AC) turns below 72 degrees in which case a heater is necessary. Clean water does wonders especially nutritious foods. Don't overfeed though as it will pollute water quickly. Goldfish tend to heal very fast and this is best aided by clean water.

beabroca

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
okay, what is a sponge filter? and where do i get one....:( hit me if ya want!

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
I went through something very similar a few weeks ago - the thread is http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197501&page=2

I'm not suggesting you do what I did, but the photos at the end of the thread might make you feel a bit better about it. Ory healed in two/three weeks (I don't remember), and when it first happened I thought I would have to euthanise him. They're tough fish! Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store