REGAL BLUE TANG EMERGENCY

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Random name

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
I just purchased a regal blue tang(about 2-3 inches) and he has been nipped at all day by the other fish his size, which is normal. But I left the house to go eat and when I got back the automatic timer had turned off and it was nighttime. He was laying in the front corner of the tank, laying sideways. I pulled him upwards and he just fell back down. Then he barely swam around on the bottom. I left him alone for a second and I came back and he was supporting himself on a piece of live rock. Then I came back and he was sitting in a hole in the live rock, kinda in a hiding spot bedind some hammer coral. Is he just scared, or is something wrong with him? Was he fighting with some other fish? Is there something else wrong? Was he sleeping when I first found him, maybe I scared him with the net and he didnt move, so he just fell back over?

He is in a 50 gallon aquarium with 25 lbs of live rock. I have some hammer coral in there and live sand on the bottom.

His tankmates are:
4-stripe damselfish
Yellowtail damselfish
Naked clownfish
Yellow tang(possibly hurt his fin, maybe they were fighting)
6 striped wrasse(i bought him today with the regal blue)
Cleaner shrimp(i also bought him today)

Please help asap, i dont know how bad this is but all i know it dosen't look good.

MTiffany

Swamp Thing
Jul 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Hi Random,

Do you have a smaller tank, like a 10 gallon? It might be a good idea to isolate the Regal Blue from the community tank until you can figure out what's really going on. He may be weak and stressed from life in the tanks at the LFS. He may be sick. He may have parasites. He may have been injured by one of your fish after you got him home or by a former tank mate at the LFS before you got him. He may be stressed by the new water he's living in. Or he might just be shy. Or any combination of the above or something else I didn't think of.

But my point is, whatever is going on with your new fish, it will be easier to figure out what's affecting him if he's in his own tank. If you don't have a smaller tank, you should probably go get one and use that as a hospital/observation tank for your new fish, and as a quarantine tank for any future purchases.

Best of luck to you. I wish I could be more help, and I hope the Regal Blue is just being shy...

Random name

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks for the help, i guess he was just sleeping or something. When i woke up this morning, i looked over there and he was swimming around, isolated from the other fish. I think he is just shy, and still kinda getting picked on by his other tankmates. I just didnt want anything to happen to him, he is just so cute!

Random name

AC Members
Jul 26, 2009
ok, i think he has marne ich, what should i do, he is kinda hiding in a hole most of the time. what should i do?

JUICY JAYNE

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
UNHAPPY TANG

I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT THE FISH IS JUST VERY STRESSED, LEAVE IT ALONE DIM YOUR LIGHTS, AND IT SHOULD BE FINE, ALSO JUST A QUIKKIE CHECK YOUR LEVELS AS YOU HAVE ADDED QUITE A FEW FISH ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE NEXT FEW DAYS SHOULD TELL WETHER THE FISH WILL GET ITCH JUST WATCH CAREFULLY :nutkick:

Sihota

AC Members
Sep 10, 2011
you have way too many fish in that 50 gallon

a tang needs a minimum of 90 gallons

juicy jayne is correct, it is very stressed

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
you have way too many fish in that 50 gallon

a tang needs a minimum of 90 gallons

juicy jayne is correct, it is very stressed
I was just going to say the same thing. That tank is overstocked. From my understanding even a 90 is small for a yellow tang. My thoughts were they need 100 or bigger.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
you guys would be scared to see my 55's you can overstock as long as you WATERCHANGE often

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store