what temp is best for fungal treatment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Critterkeeper92

Registered Member
Apr 29, 2007
Hi,
I have a wakin goldfish that has developed a body fungus. She was in my outdoor pond and I have moved her to a 10 gallon treatment tank. I am using salt and fungal cure (acriflavine). I have searched my books and internet and can't find out what is the recommended water temp for this treatment. Anybody here have any thoughts?
Thanks

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Can we have a picture? Most "fungus" is bacterial, and so the advice depends on accurate diagnosis. Unless it's grey and half an inch long, it's not fungus.

Critterkeeper92

Registered Member
Apr 29, 2007
finally got a picture

Okay, I got a picture, albeit not very good. This is my wakin after two treatments of fungal cure. I am also feeding koi med food. The fungus looks much improved. The fish is more active and eating well. There is still some cottony stuff there, but it is much shorter than before. Should I treat again? Change meds? I followed the directions to the letter. Today I did the 25% water change as directed. I'm just not sure where to go from here.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Kay

wakin fungus 1 7-30-2009 4-53-56 PM.JPG wakin fungus 1 7-30-2009 4-55-18 PM.JPG

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'd switch to malachite green for saprolegnia. Malachite green is often available in the store but you also need to handle it with care as it stains and is carcinogenic. I'd aim for one drop per gallon as the recommended dosage. As much as possible, repeat dosing daily as malachite green like most meds degrade in the water over time. When you do a water change again, redose with the recommended dosage as instructed by the bottle or at least the drop per gallon towards the total water volume of your tank.

Here's some more information about the saprolegnia and how to treat it.
http://www.koivet.com/koivet/index....ngus&catid=40:fungal-infections-koi&Itemid=60

I moved your thread here as this is the proper forum for coldwater diseases.

Critterkeeper92

Registered Member
Apr 29, 2007
Thank you. I will try that. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I never did get a PM about the move, so I didn't know. Thanks for your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store