Aequidens pulcher

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I traded in my Brasiliensis in the 46 since the female started beating the living daylights out of the male. Not enough space. I did manage to raise nearly 100 fry to 1" though, so they more than paid for themselves in the end. Anyhow, I decided to do Aequidens pulcher ( Blue Acara ) in this tank for now. The juvie male shows good color:

IMG_1143.JPG

The stocking is:
6 Tiger Barbs
1 male Acara
1 Clown Pleco

I had originally figured on acquiring a pair, but now I'm thinking twice about it. With only the male, I should be able to add a few more fish right? I'm thinking loaches or cories. Any input?

IMG_1143.JPG

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
You could probably get away with some I would imgaine only on or the other though. How big is your BA??? He looks nice love those colors its showing.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
You could probably get away with some I would imgaine only on or the other though. How big is your BA??? He looks nice love those colors its showing.
It would be one or the other. Just want to spice it up a bit and I'm pretty understocked and over- filtered. I'm still not sure he's what I'm looking for. The dwarf Geophagus are what I'm really interested in, but it would have to be a species only tank at spawning time. He's roughly 3".

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Blue acaras are awesome. My male recently paired up with a female green terror. The grey turned almost white and got much, much more aggressive than normal. It was very interesting. He's one of the most beautiful fish I have.

If you're interested in checking out the video, here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8LpeNiTLcc

Ive seen your video from your thread and they are awesome to bad its a cross and he didnt decide to go with his own kind. He likes big girls i guess lol.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
It would be one or the other. Just want to spice it up a bit and I'm pretty understocked and over- filtered. I'm still not sure he's what I'm looking for. The dwarf Geophagus are what I'm really interested in, but it would have to be a species only tank at spawning time. He's roughly 3".

Wow he is still small. Well maybe you should decide if you wanna go with Geo's sooner then later. Would suck to get a good setup going then decide u rather of had geo's

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
The trade in value of fish I raise goes up, so I don't really mind keeping a fish until adulthood and trading it in for twice what I paid. I would like to set up a permanent stock in this tank but I'm having trouble figuring what I want to keep. I'd prefer not to have to move the entire school of Barbs because the cichlids decide to breed. So to that end I'm looking for something that isn't going to terrorize the rest of the tank at spawning time. I already keep Rams in another tank and Apistos have not been available around here. I like the Blue and Threadfinned Acaras, but I know they'll wreak havoc when they spawn. Same with the Geos I've looked at... too large for a community setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store