Freshwater Master test kit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
That'll work.

And would be good to have this with it... KH/GH.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+17338+13521&pcatid=13521

-
I've used a couple of these lately. The one for Ammonia.
Would have kept my first one, if I'd realized you could replace the inerds. :duh:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+17338+14790&pcatid=14790
The one for Ammonia.

This could/would be nice for keeping an eye on the fishless cycle. And a whole lot cheaper than testing with drops as many times as you could end up doing.

They seem to work properly. I saw it go up n down in color. Why I didn't take the opportunity to check it against drops, IDK. :huh:

I could be causing an ammonia spike tommarow, so I'll try again. :)

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I'd personally stay away from the strips and go with what you were planning. That's all I've ever used and I've very happy with it. I know my water is pretty hard but I have chosen fish that aren't really that affected by hardness of water so I have never actually tested the KH and GH - but again that would depend on what you plan to put in the tank.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
Your going to want to know the KH, or at least the people that your asking for help from, should a problem arise.

And IDK doesn't get it.

I just think its good to know what both are when I start out.

You probably won't find the need to replace them later on. But its good to at least know what your starting with, instead of guessing.

the ammonia thing was just soemthing t make life easier while doing the cycle for the first time ever. And for $4 thats alot of testing. And being new to this your liable to find yourself about out of drops by the end of the first week.

You can test the stick in thing with the ammonia test in your kit.

But yea, its just an option thrown out their. You might find it isn't accurate or something?

Like I said somewhere, I could be testing mine against drops tomarrow, if I cause an ammonia spike with some change overs I have plannned.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
No.

But yea this has a strip, but not the same as test strips people hate.

This is put into the tank and left there for constant monitoring.
This would be in addition to the Test Kit you mentioned. Basically just an inexpensive amenity, if you will. That will most likely let you save your "Drop Ammonia Kit" for future random checks. Like when something doesn't look right.

With this in your tank. (works up to 6 weeks).
You come home from work or whatever. Look over at your tank. And wonder what your ammonia lvl is today?
You either look at this thing sitting in your tank. Or use a round of drops to find out.

I don't see it saying anything about how many test you should get. Maybe there are alot more than I think?

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
There's nothing like a good liquid Test Kit. API is the most recommended one. If I was you I wouldn't get the LiveNH3 Monitor thing. I don't trust it to be accurate when it relies on a test strip for a month. The Ammonia testing bottles in the kit are good for 130 tests. If you test everyday for a month during the cycling process you still have 100 more test to go. Assuming you test once a week once you are cycled that will last two years!.

EDIT: You should check out the LFS to see if they will test the GH/KH for free. This shouldn't change unless you are messing around with chemicals or your local water source changes. Same thing for PH, but the Master test kit comes with it and it's still cheaper then buying individual test kits for the big three; Ammonia. NitrIte, NitrAte.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
I don't trust any kit really, but if it has that many tests in it. Sure, pass on the monitor.

Yea, the LFS testing your KH/GH would be good. Right up until they pull out a strip to do it with. :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store