empty 55 gal -water question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A.Reiser

AC Members
Jul 20, 2009
St. Marys Kansas
I have an empty 55 gal i want to set up as an african cichlid tank but i have some questions...

First, will 55gal be a sufficient size for these fish??

Second, our well water is very high in hardness and alkalinity but here is the problem... it is also high in nitrates. Now we have an r/o system we can use but i hate the idea of taking all the minerals out to put them back in again, so is there anything i can do to treat the water just for the nitrates?? or is the r/o my best bet?

thanks!
Anna

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
A 55 gallon is a great size for most rift lake cichlids :) What exactly are you looking at to stock it with? "African cichlids" is a very broad range of species.

How high are the nitrates in your water? You may be fine. The hard water and high Ph are not a problem since rift lake species prefer it.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
It is very hard for nitrAtes to get toxic. We use them as a meter to know when we need to do water changes, but not because of the nitrAtes. What are you tap nitrAte levels? You can probably just keep your tank water 20-40 ppm nitrAtes above that and be fine.

A.Reiser

AC Members
Jul 20, 2009
St. Marys Kansas
nitrates are at around 10ppm.

I was thinking Tanganyican(sp) species, but i wasn't sure really i love all the colors and don't know where to start!!!

I'm so glad to hear about the water, It'll be so much easier to run it straight from the tap!! (it'll keep me doing my water changes regularly! lol)

I would like a pretty dense community so i suppose no seriously aggresive cichlids, I have a book all on the different species, i need to go consult it and come up with a more concrete plan! I was waiting till i found out about our water.

Also, in this tank i can use all that limestone rock i have lying around can't I?

Oh, and is it ok to set the tank in the path of more sunlight than usual to encourage algae growth for the fish?

Thanks again for all the info!

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
If you want to encourage algae growth, than your tap nitrates definately won't be a problem... The only problem will be the algae. It will take over quickly... be careful. It's good for the fish, not a problem... we just don't like looking at it...

A.Reiser

AC Members
Jul 20, 2009
St. Marys Kansas
ok i see! thanks:) I was just wanting to create for them a more natural habitat. Can i substitute for that by feeding those spirulina(sp) flakes then??

I'm getting too excited, i think this tank is going up in the next two weeks! lol

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
well im seting up a 55 gal tang tank too just check out my threed for stocking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store