Betta question!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

steffi0122

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
How can i get my betta to grow long beautiful fins like the pictures that i have seen on the internet of other peoples bettas? i thought mine had pretty long fins, but then i saw how long they can reallt grow. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have my betta in a 5.5 gallon with a couple platies and a dwarf frog. I have been watching the platies and they do not nip at him at all. Is there some kind of food or something that i can give him??

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Canada, eh? (pun intended)

We really one have the one strain of betta up here, and while they have longish fins, they're not really bred for quality, more for quantity. You'd probably have to special order if you wanted some of the more finnage like crowntails or halfmoons...

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
are you sure this isnt a female betta? if thats the case her fins are as long as they will get. I only ask this because most bettas aren't sold or put up for retail until they are pretty much fully grown. I'm not sure how old your betta is, so if you could tell us that it would help...

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Well... Melafix encourages groth, but I don't know if it would stimulate it in already healthy finnage, it's more for damage...

What do you feed him? There's should be food which will enhance fins and color...

Last edited:

steffi0122

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Can i put this melafix right in the water with him and the other fish or will it harm them? The betta that i am talking about recently got nipped and has a few holes...so this will help then?

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
As long as you follow the instructions, melafix won't harm the other fish in the aquarium with him.

I do not know it's effects on a frog, however..

steffi0122

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
DEAN- i don't' understand what u mean. Are you saying that i don't feed my fish? B/c i do but his fins got nipped and i just wanted to know what i can do to fix them.
Thanks to everyone who'd relied so far!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store