UltfaLife "The Trap"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
[FONT=&quot]Company[/FONT]
UltraLife

[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT]
The Trap 3" x 9" (also comes in 4" x 9")

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/24343/product.web

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT]
$28.99-$49.99

[FONT=&quot]Pros[/FONT]
Easy to catch fish, see-through for easy identification of fish, simple to use, don't have to dismantle tank to use

[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT]
More expensive than DIY traps or nets, somewhat bulky for smaller tanks/heavily decorated tanks, might have to wait a long time for the fish to go in or the right fish to go in

[FONT=&quot]Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?[/FONT]
Once last night.

[FONT=&quot]Build quality and value for your money. [/FONT]
Seems sturdy and will probably last long considering that it's not something that will take a beating. The door sometimes sticks in the open position, so that might allow your fish to get out before you can close it. It works better underwater that it did when I just tested it when I first took it out. It still stuck somewhat underwater, but I have a long-handled planting tool that I used to tap the top of the door, and it slid right down. When I needed it to trap my krib, it slid down easily on it's own.

It is fairly expensive, especially considering you can make your own trap using a pop bottle (cut off the top and invert it into the bottle), but DIY is not everyone's forte. I am so glad I went ahead and spent the money for this thing. It will last for years and years, and I really like that it has a door that keeps the fish from getting out while you try to take the thing out. In the long run, it was much easier and less stressful on my fish to use The Trap, and I do not regret spending the money at all.

It's great for those hard-to-catch fish, and you don't have to tear your tank apart and terrorize your fish to do it. For quality, I give it 4/5 because the door doesn't always slid easily, but overall, it is well-built and easy to use. For value for the money, I give it 4/5 because you can do a DIY version, but it is much more sturdy and the door keeps fish in.

[FONT=&quot]Other comments
[/FONT]Keep in mind that this is not water-tight. You will need a bag or bucket handy to put the fish into when you raise it out of the tank since it will drip water at a steady rate.

A smarter fish might not fall for the same trick twice, and/or it might not be willing to go in. I placed it near the caves where my krib pair were spending most of their time, and I placed a cube of Formula 1 and waited. I pretty much ignored the tank for about 3-4 hours and let them pick at it as they wanted and get comfortable with it. Finally, I was about to go to bed and decided to watch them for a while before I took out The Trap. I watched as the krib pair approached The Trap and swam around it. There was a cloud of babies swimming underneath them, and the father would occasionally make a circuit to fend off any fish coming near. Then, I noticed he was gradually making his way into the trap. Once he was halway in, I carefully took hold of the string, attached to the door, that I had left hanging outside the tank holding the door open. I made sure that it was not a sudden movement and to grab the string below the level of the tank. Once he glided all the way in, I just lifted up the string, and the door slid smoothly down. :dance: He immediately knew that something was wrong, and he knew where the door was. He did freak out a couple times, especially when I lifted The Trap out of the tank, but he did no damage to himself or The Trap. All in all, it was a very successful catch, and it was much less stressful on him and all the rest of the fish than it was trying to catch him with nets. I had tried the 2-net approach, red nets, taking out decor, everything. It all made my whole tank just shudder with trepidation, and I never caught that sneaky krib (wanted him out because the pair were beating up and killing my diamond tetras whenever the pair was breeding).[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Could a mod change the title for me? It should be Ultralife not Ultfalife, lol. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store