nova extreme for freshwater??? HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
36"Nova Extreme 4x39 watt T5 HO 10K/460nm

can this nova light fixture be used on freshwater? i found it for an excellent deal, and im wondering if it can be used for freshwater applications. if not, what new lights need to be bought?

thanks. :help::help::help::help:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It can be used. You have live plants, I presume. With that light, you'll need CO2 and you should replace the 460nm actinic blue bulbs with 6500-6700K bulbs. The 10K bulbs are fine to keep.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Yes, you will absolutlye need to add CO2 with that much wattage. You could remove a couple of bulbs if you don't go with a CO2 system. What size is the tank?

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Yes, you will absolutlye need to add CO2 with that much wattage. You could remove a couple of bulbs if you don't go with a CO2 system. What size is the tank?
its a 46 gallon bowfront. i need the more wattage because i currently have 75 watts, and that just isnt enough to get the red color out of some of my plants. i dose liquid co2 every day. and a comprehensive plant supplement once a week.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
You might still want to remove one of the bulbs, or keep the photo period short. With all 4 bulbs I think you may need to go pressurized CO2 and a complete fert regime.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
You might still want to remove one of the bulbs, or keep the photo period short. With all 4 bulbs I think you may need to go pressurized CO2 and a complete fert regime.
If I remove one of the lights, won't tht pose a safety hazard??
It seems like the prongs or whatever they are inside the fixture aid b sending the electricity nowhere.

Isn't that dangerous?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you want to maximize the reds in your plants you should keep the actinic bulbs.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
As long as there is no metal to metal contact, there should be not be a discharge through the unused socket. At least that is my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
If you do run all 4 bulbs I think you could get away with keeping one of the actinics. It would not help much with the plant growth but you will have plenty of wattage. I would keep the photo period short however, as it would contribute to algae growth.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
As long as there is no metal to metal contact, there should be not be a discharge through the unused socket. At least that is my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
If you do run all 4 bulbs I think you could get away with keeping one of the actinics. It would not help much with the plant growth but you will have plenty of wattage. I would keep the photo period short however, as it would contribute to algae growth.

so like lights on from noon till ten? or lik 2 pm to ten pm?

idk what the definition of a short photo period is. because mine currently run about 11 hours a day at 75 watts.

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
there's no real definition of "short" photo period, only relative. in your case, I'd go with around 8 hours.

2pm to 10pm is fine. actually, that's how mine is right now with 3wpg and co2 injection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store