New Paludarium Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Hey guys - first post here, but have been reading through threads for quite awhile for some helpful hints.

When I was younger I had fish tanks of all kinds, Cichlids, community, breeding livebearers, Turtles, etc, but have never done a paludarium. My latest adventure was restarting a 29g tank my dad was getting rid of. My roommate wanted something that "looked nice" so I did a simple community tank with a nice school of neons, a couple zebras, a few mollies, and some black skirt tetras. Well, an issue with the stand caused me to shift them to an empty 10g I had laying around so i could move the 30g to it's new location easier. I decided I wanted to do a paludarium, but it seems I am sort of doing it backwards - I have the the fish first rather than the toad/frog/newt/etc.

Now to my question: since I already have an established community of fish, I decided to go with a setup with a relatively deep water supply to house the fish comfortably (and they love it) and do only false bottom setups along the sides and back. My issue has now become - is the water too deep for any kind of amphibian? The water to land ratio is pretty good, surface-wise, but it seems the depth (about 2/3rds of the tank - about a foot of water) might be an issue. I was thinking Fire-Bellied Newts would love it, but I read they survive best in colder temps, but my tank is being kept in the mid- to upper-70's for the fish. So this would lead me to the toads, but it seems the depth might just be too much for them. Any suggestions on either of these two animals (as I really like both of their prints and they are relatively good beginner pets for the paludarium) or suggestions for others that would fit well in this set up? I don't think there would be enough room for tree frogs or the like since there isn't too much climbing space above the water (about 6 inches).

I apologize for the rambling - but I appreciate those who have read this far, as well as I appreciate any help you can provide! Thanks!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Hi Tylerk, Welcome to the forum.

As to your question,if you have a land area setup with adequate floor space required for the species of herp-fauna you're interested in,as well as a way for it to exit the water you're good to go, the water can't be too deep if the species you are looking into is semi-aquatic, just make sure they have a way to exit it.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
FBT's might work but what is your ratio of water/land area?

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Thanks everybody for the responses! I ended up getting a pair of gorgeous FBTs and am definitely happy. I am lowering the water level to between 8 inches and a foot, just to be on the safe side and definitely have plenty of climb-out spots for them both. The land to water ratio is a pretty healthy 50/50 with some of the land being "ankle deep" water for the frogs to bask in without having to completely dive in! Plenty of hiding spots for them both and I have two waterfall filters to dump on them if they so desire (and it helps to keep the water fresh and clean).

Two stories already though - both because I am an amateur with toads (I have quite a bit of experience with fish, snakes, and turtles though). The first, when I purchased them, the attendant was extremely knowledgable and helpful, so I trusted his words and actions with the toads. Well, he picked them up with his hands to put them in the carrying case, so I figured I could do the same - WRONG, haha. I have read and researched all about them, so I understood the risk, but figured since the attendant had, I could. Well, I washed my hands immediately after as a hadbitual thing, but still got a couple little bumps of rash where I must have missed with soap. Live and learn.

Overnight, these little buggers figured their way out of the habitat. I have it very well covered, but they were somehow able to slip themselves through where one of the filter arms runs in. I found out very quickly that these are going to be a fun pair of mischeivous toads. I found them very quickly hanging out around the aquarium and replaced them (using a net of course!) and was able to correct the issues.

All in all, I have had them for less than a day and am aleady finding myself watching them more than I would ever think about watching any television. Again, thank you for all the responses and, as seems to be standard, I will try and get some pictures of my set up to show it off a bit!! :naughty:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Glad to hear you purchased some mischievous little toads. :D You'll have to take some pics of your setup when you get a chance. I know we'd all love to see it.

A note on handling amphibians. It's good practice to avoid handling amphibians all together unless absolutely necessary. Their skin is very permeable and it can absorb all the nasty oils and grime your hands come in contact with. If you do need to handle or move your frog, toad, salamander, whatever....it's good to shoo them into a container or handle them gently with rubber gloves. Always remember to wash your hands before and after doing this.

tylerk

AC Members
Jul 30, 2009
Yes, Vicious, lesson well learned. I only mentioned the story as a warning to any other beginners like myself that just might not know any better. I also know that many amphibians can and do get harmed by our salts/oils/etc. They are MUCH better to be viewed, not touched.

On a side note, mellow, I checked out your 20g cork board build that you had and was enthralled by the thread. That was amazing work. I would love to get back to that level of time and effort available to really make great looking aquariums, but until I can find myself a permanent home to set up some permanent homes for the little guys, it is going to be the best of the stuff that can be easily moved!

I will be back to post photos of the set up as soon as I can get them. Hopefully you will all like it...

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Yes, pictures would be good.

I keep considering a setup like this, but right now I am just sticking with fish. I like the size, and the depth of your water, since that allows you to have a decent amount of fish, with your toads.

barbuto

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Fort Lee, NJ
I am also considering having a similar setup to this with my 29g. I graduate next may and hopefully will be able to get my 29g up and running shortly after. Until then.....lots of research

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store