Driftwood curing/rotting question, and also a plant question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
I have a cool piece of driftwood my dad found in a river. It's as hard as a rock and too big to boil in a pot, and bake in an oven.
So, how would I go about curing this big piece of wood?
Would I pour boiling water on it? Cook it over a fire?

Also, I'm afraid of it rotting, I have no idea if it would or not, it's as hard as a rock (well, you know, it's hard), no soft smushy spots at all. How would I keep it from rotting? Could I put some clear sealant or whatever on it? If I can, what can I use to do it with?

For the plant question:
I have a sword and a crypt in my girlfriends 10 gallon (well, it's really mine, I do everything for it) and they aren't really growing too great.
I added 2x13 watt CFL's to the hood and that helped the plants growth alot. But right now they seem like they aren't growing too great, and they don't look too healthy. What would be the best thing to add to the tank?
I can't really tell if it needs more nutrients or co2.
The algae sure is growing great, which I don't mind because my Otto's need food.

Please help me out :D

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
For the wood, if you found it in a river and there are no soft spots, it should hold up well in the tank. Any wood will rot slowly, over time. Don't let this deter you, it is slow enough that it is not a problem. As for cleaning it, you need to get it in boiling water if possible. Pouring boiling water over it should work, but not as well. (***BE CAREFUL not to burn yourself) As a last resort, you can just wash it with the hose, but make sure you wash it really well, and then let it dry for a couple days before putting it in your tank to make sure it isn't holding chlorine.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
(***BE CAREFUL not to burn yourself)

I live for danger.

Thanks for the advice.
I definitely can't boil it, there isn't a pot big enough. I can't even soak it in a 5 gallon bucket. I have to flip it.

OH I can do that in the pot.
Just boil one side, then boil the other.
Then pour some water on it just to be safe.

I'll be careful to watch for hot splashing liquids. :D

Oh here's a picture btw.

6489649846.jpg

Last edited:

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Do you have a dishwasher and does it fit inside of it? A soap-less cycle will help sterilize it too.

As for the sword and crypt in the 10 gallon, both those plants will grow too large for it. But in the mean time, you could try buying some root-tabs and placing one tab at the base of each plant. Those species are both heavy root feeders, and by burying the fertilizer, keeps nutrients out of the water column and away from the algae.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store