I've a pregnant Glo-fish, she laid eggs and err.. now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaiidera

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
I've had goldfish before. Never have they ever laid eggs or did the business, and I've had four that lived well over 2 - 4 years.

Point being, I've this Glo-Fish. The day after we bought her her, she started a little bump and after some research, I found out she's got eggs in there. And back then, we had 3 including her. She did the dirty-swim with the other two, I'm not sure if that effected anything. They were in a basic 2 gallon tank.

Anyway, she's seperated now. Just in a simple little tank thing, and there's eggs floating up on the top and I've no idea what the heck to do. I don't even know if there's stuff inside them, or if they're unfertilized, or if I should buy special food, or what. I'm so lost. D:

(There's about 40 things floating up top.)

And oh my Goodness, if this is the wrong place I'll feel so bad. I know how much it sucks when newbs post threads in the completely wrong section. I looked around, but eee. Got confused.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Ok, well in my experience danio eggs are too little to see and sink rather than float and they will all get eaten if you leave them with the fish. How many fish do you have in your tank? I'm sorry, but a 2 gallon tank is much too small for danios, they are hyperactive fish that need at least 15 gallons and also need at least 5 to school together.
IMO, I would bring them back to the store unless you have room for a bigger tank. A 2 gallon tank would only be big enough for 1 betta fish.
BTW, welcome to AC. We know that you must care about your fish because you are on here.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
2 Gallons is really too small for Danios as stated above- they're small fish but they need a lot of room to swim in- and should really be kept in groups of 6... preferrably more or they can express aggressive behaviour.

(Glo-fish are genetically modified Danio BTW)

What is generally suggested is that you use marbles in a breeding tank if you want to breed Danios because that way they can't eat their own eggs.

I've got a dozen Danio- they act like they're spawning all the time- I've never visually seen an egg- let alone a baby... Don't know if they do the deed without egg laying or if I just can't see the eggs... when the Danios spawn the rest of the fish act hungry and congregate around the Danios.

Kaiidera

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
Thanks... Yeah, I didn't know the exact size requirements. I was saving money for a new laptop, and I'm getting $50 for painting this week, so I should have enough to upgrade the tank if my parents will let me. And I'm really attached to my fish :x Wouldn't want to give her back.

Just the one at the moment. Separated them. There's nothing really to stick to. Went "Woah, pregnant. New tank for you." and the new thing didn't have any plants or special things. Wonder why they're floating, eeegh.

I heard about the modified part, just was in a rush cause I have this classified as an emergency in my head, heh. I had no idea about the group thing either. My parents will love this.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
If you get more for them to school with, you don't need to get all Glo Fish... Zebra Danios and White Danios (and several other colourations of Danios) are the same species... Zebra's are dirt cheap- normally 99cents each. All the colours are available in long finned varieties... there is also a spotted Leopard Danio that is from a subspecies and also compatible.

BTW- Glo-fish are technically trademarked and supposedly it is illegal to deliberately try and breed them for yourself... although I highly doubt that could be held-up in court if you're just keeping them for yourself. Nor do I think they worry too much about home aquarists raising a few.

Nor is it possible to STOP them spawning... I think it really only applies if you TRY to breed them. Weird rules...

Just a heads up though.

Kaiidera

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
I read about that. I bought her this way, and really. *Not trying to breed* Besides, I'm sure nothing will come of the eggs anyway.

And that sounds pretty cool. I've always only gotten one breed of fish before at a time.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
Mature females will always fill with eggs. Don't bother with breeding them though and don't separate her for now. Just keep them in their tank and do water changes every other day for sure. Did you cycle the tank?
A 15 gallon tank setup won't cost much at big box disount store or you can also search for used ones. Danios don't need a heater, but you might need one if you choose to get other fish in the future.

Kaiidera

AC Members
Jul 31, 2009
I'm not sure what cycle the tank means. I've kinda been forced to stick the basics. Fish, tank, water, food. Had a heater, and a filter, but they got mangled up when I was away. My parents are baaaaad at pet watching, but it's a zoo in my room.

L021

AC Members
Jul 14, 2009
I'm not sure what cycle the tank means. I've kinda been forced to stick the basics. Fish, tank, water, food.
:jaw: Feel lucky they are danios, and get a filter. heaters are not really necessary for danios, but here are some basic steps:

1: get a filter.
2: Run the filter in the tank, it should help get rid of the ammonia. (cycling)

NEVER clean 100% of the tank at once. Leave the filter, or save a bit of water to keep the bacteria running.

3:change 50% of the water weekly.

That's all you really need ATM. As soon as possible though, get a 5 or up gallon tank. From my experience, danios will do fine in a group of 4 in a 5 gallon. What's optimal though is a 10 gallon with dense plants.

FluffynTex

Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
May 21, 2008
West Texas
They mate as the female is laying the eggs so if you separated her before she laid them, they will be infertile. They do not store sperm like the live bearers do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store