some filter questions....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
So my filters finally on its last leg... TIME FOR CHANGE!

The tank is a 55 gallon, pretty well stocked

Unfortunately a canister is NOT an option at the moment as it would be WAY out of my budget!

I found this site Petmountan.com really great site, has DIRT cheap filters...

so what I want to know is out of these three brands which one would you recommend?

FIRST ONE!

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/512916/aquaclear-aquaclear-power-filter.html

for those who cant go to the link....
AquaClear 110 (formerly 500) - (60-110 Gallon - 500 GPH)
$79.99 $122.99 Save 35%

The AquaClear Power Filter provides mechanical, chemical and biological filtration through its multi-stage filtration system. The filter filtration volume is up to 7 times larger than comparable Filters. Its unique design filters aquarium water through a natural and silent waterfall. The patented flow control feature allows for customized filter performance.

The media basket prevents water by-pass around the filter media maximizing filtration efficiency. The filter preserves beneficial bacterial creating a stress free environment for aquarium inhabitants and maintains clear aquarium water. Installation and maintenance are quick, easy and convenience. The filter comes equipped with AquaClear Foam, Activated Carbon and BioMax. In addition, AquaClear delivers an entire line of media including Zeo-Carb and Ammonia Remover exclusively designed for the AquaClear Power Filter.

A healthy aquarium requires "beneficial" bacteria. Invisible and harmless, beneficial bacteria are essential in the removal of toxic ammonia and nitrate.

Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years from date of purchase.

- Quiet
- Low operating costs
- Complete filtration
- Large filter media volume
- Superior contact time with filter media
- Cycle Guard, for continuous biological filtration and superior water quality
- Includes foam, carbon & BioMax Filter inserts
- CycleGuard now with BioMax - Preserves beneficial bacteria for a stress free environment

SECOND ONE!!! http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/515831/tetra-whisper-ex-power-filters.html

EX70 - (45 - 70 Gallon)
Whisper EX Power Filters New Item
By Tetra
The Whisper EX is ready to go right out of the box. Simply adjust the in-take tube, place the filtration system on your aquarium and plug it in.The submerged motor begins filtering water immediately. No priming required. And operation is Whisper quiet.

Accurately determine when your carbon filter has expired with Tetra's Timestrip. Our patented technology allows you to see at a glance when it's time to replace your filter. The health of your fish depends on regular filter changes to remove toxins and other harmful impurities.

Our newly re-designed filter carrier holds the filter – and the drips – so you don't have to. After discarding the old filter and inserting a new one, the carrier easily drops back into place within the filtration system. It's that simple!

Unlike other filters, the WhisperEX contains multiple layers of progressively denser floss to remove even the smallest particles from the water. The carbon inside eliminates odors, discoloration and, most importantly, harmful toxins. Finally, the BioScrubber® removes ammonia and nitrites that are deadly to your fish.

I couldn't tell you whats on there now... but I believe its the older version of the tetra filter...

My budget is 80-90+ shipping which brings it to ~100...

Im open to suggestions!!!!!!

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
go look on EBAY for some dirt cheap filters! they are prolly much cheaper than the website that you gave!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I use Aqua Clears on all of my tanks (as well as Emperors), and for reliability, ease of use and quiet, I don't think you can beat it. Good luck.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Go for the aquaclear for an HOB, but I agree that you can find canisters pretty cheap if you look hard enough.

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
Ok... so if i were to find a canister... what brands should I stay away from?

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
I'd go with an AC 70 model for a 55g tank. An AC 110 model is overkill on that tank IMO. You should be able to find an AC 70 for about $50 at www.bigalsonline.com They have free shipping this next two weeks on orders of $60 or more, but I'm sure you will find $10 worth of goodies to add to your order.

mattskims

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I use two AC 110's on my 55g (my fish like lots of flow and oxygenated water) and love them. So many options as far as how to stack media!

Also, my local petsmart had them on sale for $45 today. I have no idea if it is a national or local sale but might be worth a look if you go HOB. Even if they are not on sale, remember that petsmart price matches their online prices.

If you want to go planted, I would probaly recommend a canister though.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Ok... so if i were to find a canister... what brands should I stay away from?
Most of the well-known canisters will be pretty reliable (fluval, eheim, rena, magnum). Get the one that you like and can afford.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store