Intake & Outflow DIY using sprinkler tubing & connectors

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
As some of you may know I recently received my $35 Ebay Fluval 404 with everything needed except the "intake extension tube & strainer" and the much shorter "outflow tube & multi-directional output nozzle".

Well I could have bought the Fluval parts, 2-rubber adapters, extension tube, and strainer, and nozzle all for $17. Better I thought of a low cost but quality, Martha Stewart alternative.

Having laid many a garden sprinkler pipe and tubing it occurred to me that instead of a white PVC alternative which sticks out like a sour thumb being white. However black tubing and couplers would be require no gluing, cost even less, and be less noticeable being black. Parts and cost as follows:
(1) Approx 30 inches of 5/8" black sprinkler tubing cost 0.12 per foot. You can even find this stuff used at garage sales or buy a 25 foot section at Home Depot for $3.
(2) One 5/8" T-coupler $0.75
(3) One 5/8" strait coupler $0.50
(4) One plastic tie to crimp end of intake tubing
All hoses are different sizes so you will have to take your canister hose with you to check on what size tubing will work. For my Fluval the 5/8" worked perfectly screwing inside the Fluval gray stock hosing. The rest was just common sense as the black sprinkler tubing just pushes together using chevron built in connectors but once in place cannot be separated unless torn apart so make sure your length is what you want before connecting the couplers to the black tubing.

For the intake special work required was drilling 1/4" holes (Swiss cheese) into the strait coupler used as a strainer. Since both ends of the coupler are normally open, you have to seal the end with a short piece of tubing then folded over to form a crimp with a plastic tie to hold it in place. The extension tubing here is long about 13".

For the outflow nozzle its real simple just a 5" section of tubing with one end inserted into the Fluval tubing and the other end pushed into the T-coupler used as a T-outflow nozzle which can swivel any direction and splitting the water flow.

Total Coast about $3 or a saving of $14 over stock.

From the photo's below which are not that great you should be able to make out what I explained here in the text.

MTiffany

Swamp Thing
Jul 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Nicely done. I'm kind of a noob at DIY stuff -- is the 5/8 measurement the inner or outer diameter? That always confuses me.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
im going to try and make that Gunner! only thing different i will do is use a black plastic tie instead of the white colored one you used to hold the crimped piece of tube then it wont even be noticed, YOU DA MAN!

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
Gunner i am NOT a real DIY'er but i try. i got a question do they make black pvc pipe in the size need to construct this? I guess i need to go to home depot and wander around in the pvc plumbing dept? and see what kind of stuff they have i might be able to use. Would the plumbing dept or garden dept be there area to find these parts?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Some of you remember my post on my DIY canister filter using a pond pump which is still in use as we speak working great, however because of the pressures involved "outside the canister" it required allot of PVC white fittings and glue, the cost of those fitting although necessary add up and became expensive about $15.

However fittings that carry pressure under water ("inside the tank") do not need to be special and perfectly watertight although these light weight press together fittings requiring no glue and are still water tight, just not as much. Look for them in the sprinkler section where everything is black, not the pluming section where everything is white. Home depot still caries the older bigger 5/8 diameter house and the fittings for them are all black, for Fluval this is the size you want to use as it screws inside the Fuval gray hose nice and tight. There is another new all black hose that is 1/2 diameter smaller which looks slightly smaller, all the fittings for it are black with green ends and you will know its smaller because it will fit inside the Fluval gray hose way too loose not even touching the sides (too small) and will fall off. So take one Fluval hose with you so you don’t get mixed up and buy the wrong size, and don’t buy any fittings with green ends.

Rod, about that plastic tie to make the crimp, you can also buy the small fitting that holds that crimp about $0.50, too much I think. If you decide to use the plastic tie, you will need to drill a "shoe lace" hole in the end of that tube strait across so the tie can lace though it and keep from slipping down on the slippery tubing and sliding off. Sorry I forgot to get a pic of that, but just like in the photo you see the tie going around the visible part of the tube, on the other side it is going through two holes like a shoe lace on the back side you cant see.

PVC white tubing that requires gluing and curing should be use for pressure fittings outside the aquarium where slight leaking cannot be tolerated obviously.

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
GREAT JOB !!! I was just searching on how to make my magnum hot's out-take longer, the short one on it drives me crazy ! as soon as the water is a little low, it is very loud !
So I am going to attempt' to fit some kind of hose' onto the outtake, and try to make a nive one . thanxs for some insight ! I will keep looking for the magnum , I know someone else has had to do this , and would love to see the best & easiest way . If anyone knows a link, please share. ~ nice work with the paint ! I LOVE krylon I use it for all kinds of diy projects inside the tank :) It is teh only safe' spray paint . And has some awesome colors !

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
GREAT JOB !!! I was just searching on how to make my magnum hot's out-take longer, the short one on it drives me crazy ! as soon as the water is a little low, it is very loud !
So I am going to attempt' to fit some kind of hose' onto the outtake, and try to make a nive one . thanxs for some insight ! I will keep looking for the magnum , I know someone else has had to do this , and would love to see the best & easiest way . If anyone knows a link, please share. ~ nice work with the paint ! I LOVE krylon I use it for all kinds of diy projects inside the tank :) It is teh only safe' spray paint . And has some awesome colors !
Actually I already expanded my Hot Mag intake with this same type black sprinkler tubing only the size you want is the smaller size 1/2". This tubing is a tight fit but does with persuasion slips inside the Hot Mag intake or out-take tubing and also into the Hot Mag strainer. You should have no problem finding the new smaller 1/2" black tubing at either Home-D or Lowes. Ask for a small 12" test piece, you might get it free.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store