Chainlink eel eating habits

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
I read several places that the chainlink eel should eat live foods about twice a week.

Is it necessary for every meal to be live? I throw in grass shrimp or fiddler crabs about once a week, sometimes more. The rest of the time I just feed frozen krill.

My eel will eat 4 times a day if I was up to it. Is it ok to feed the eel daily or should I limit it?

Also: Do ya'll soak your frozen foods in the vitamins or is that just for freeze dried foods?

Thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't feed adult predators daily. They don't need it, and it contributes to a high bio-load. If the fish will eat prepared foods, and they are nutritional, don't worry about it. With some fish, they need hard crunchies to keep their teeth in shape, and there may be a benefit similar to this for eels but I wouldn't stress about it. I would feed decent sized meals every 2-3 days and call it good.

I don't soak any of my foods in vitamins--I prefer to feed a wide variety of foods to meet their needs instead. It's worked so far for me, but mostly means I can't really answer your question.

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks for the reply, I'll step back feeding them a bit.

That answered my question, as long as I feed a variety there shouldnt be a need for the vitamins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store