My Fire Bellied Toads each have a black swollen eye!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amybella

Banned
Aug 4, 2009
I recently purchased two fire bellied toads, the second day, I noticed one of their eyes was bulging and black. The day after, I realized that the other one of the other toads toad's eyes was was also bulging and black. Otherwise, they seem very healthy. One is extremely active and is always climbing things and the other spends most of his time in the pool. But it does concern me that their eyes are like this.........any knowledge of what this could be would be much appreciated....I have tried in vain to research this on the computer.

amybella

Banned
Aug 4, 2009
Okay so today, the one toad is completely normal again....his eye shrunk back down and is normal coloured.....goldish with a black pupil. The other frogs eye is still swollen, but it is not completely black anymore.....I can see the goldish through the black.....but it still swollen and black. Could this perhaps be an injury???

pucenavel

Registered Member
Aug 15, 2009
Similar Problem

I have two relatively new Red Bellied Toads. One is active and healthy, but the other has a swollen, cloudy eye. I think it may he (or she?) may have been poked in the eye by a cricket while it was "dining" (as the crickets seem to struggle quite a bit during mealtimes).

Is there anything simple I can do to help it heal? He's not eating and is really beginning to lose weight.

And don't tell me to go see a vet. It's a $5 frog.

amybella

Banned
Aug 4, 2009
My toads continue to thrive despite the problem with their eye. I have had them for 3 weeks now and they seem healthy...excluding the eye problem. As I was in the same boat as you I suggest waiting it out....it worked out for my toads (so far). I did do some on-line research and realized that these little guys can live 20-30 years, so they are more resilient then I first assumed. But I do suggest (as an animal lover) that if your little toad seems to be suffering and you can't afford the vet, that you find a humane way to kill it.

Best Of Luck!!

amybella

Banned
Aug 4, 2009
I also suggest calling a vet that deals with exotics and asking them how long is too long for the toad to go without food. They will give you a little bit of free info. ;)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
no vet for a $5 frog huh? hmmm... i suggest you atleast take a few pics and post them in a thread here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71

or kingsnake.com
or geckosunlimited.net
or vivariumforums.com
or dendroboard.com
or all of them
in the appropriate forum sections.

i think you'll find a better knowledge base on herps in a herp section/forum than in the freshwater section. imo, it's the least you could do for a frog that's apparently not worth a vet bill.

amybella

Banned
Aug 4, 2009
What are herps? And it seemed appropriate to post in this section given that these are freshwater amphibians and seem to have an illness....through deductive reasoning I posted under the freshwater illness catagory, however, if you know of somewhere where we can get more appropritae info for our froggies mutual problem, then do tell, as I am an amatuer when it comes to amphibians.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Folks, let's try better to remain civil and tolerant with fellow members. Thanks.

Thread moved to Herps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store