sexing german blue rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
i already know the typicals..
red belly, is female and yada yada.

but i dont believe neither of my GBRs have pinkish red bellys.

1 ram is more colorful. the head front part is more yellow, and eyes are more red. also is more colorful on fins, and it has a semi black spot, like semi dark, then theres this other big black spot/strip/circle whatever, after the first line, and its really prominent, and theres no blue speckle in it, except for like at the very edges. and i just looked again, and possibly it has a pinkish belly..its just really faint.
the front tips of the bottom arm fin thingies are black/blue/orangey mix.

the other ram is rather dull kind of. the skin is a smokey/ashy color, but theres still blue. the pattern on its body is kinda like this:

but the pattern is much fainter, and obviously the fish isnt that blue..i know for sure its a GBR. anywways, what im saying is, theres no orange on the face, and no big vibrat black spot. its just more of a striped black with huisih blue all over.

and the colorful one is CONSTANTLY chasing the duller one. if that means anything

the reason why im asking is cause like the less colorful ram bugs me, because he IS ashy/smokey looking and i dont like it. i want a really vibrant one. so i dont know if its the gender or i just got a bad cichlid. when you pair them up, is it male male, or female male, or female female, thats best in a 55g tank?

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
errrrm ok i hope i have read that wrong but that pic AINT gbr

but there are two ways to tell a female from a male the female as u have stated will have a pink belly that will be almost red when spawning

the othe way is the top fin (cant remember its name) in the male it will be pointed towards the tail where as in the female it will be rounded and not as tall.
i hope this makes sence

but that pic really aint a gbr

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
Can you post pictures of your rams? From your description it sounds like either your ram is severly stressed or you purchased an electric blue ram.

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
nononono its not an electric cichlid.

i was just trying to explain the design, how theres no real big prominent black circle spot like in other rams.

i think it might just be stressed or somethign. i remeber i had a couple serpae tetras, and instead of some of them being red, their face was all ashy/smokey/grey..and i dont know why, maybe something in the water had damaged them cause i had them for a long long time.

i think this GBR just has some sorta scar tissue or something, cause really its not all pretty like those rams you guys have posted. its just a dull ash and blue colored. theres no yellows or reds or anything.

again though, what kind of sex combo do i need?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
bs6749 could be onto something.
there is a new color ram out EBR electric blue ram.

I have seen some pics.

but a pic of your ram would be best to help. also young rams will not display vibrant colors of the adults.

if the fish is young this may be the case.

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
i still dont know which is which.

in that pic of those rams, both have the same color patterns, except the males fins are a bit longer and pointer, and the female has a red belly.

well, the colorful ram, looks like both of those ones... lol i dont kow man, help. wouldnt the guy be chasing the girl? so maybe the colored ram i have is the guy, and the girl is just stressed or damaged. so i need to go bac kto the LFS and ask for a girl then?

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
i dont have a camera

k i found a pic on google that i could use.

see the part where i circled? well, thats the whole rams body. look at any gbr on the net...like this one! youll see two big promiment first spots, and also a red/yellow face. well, where the red and yellow is, its just ashy and grey. and where the two big black prominent spots are, its just really washed out faint black stripes, like thats on the 2nd half of the fish

i mean i guess looking at the fish for a real long time, there is sort of a black circle spot, but its not very obvious..and theres sparkles that cover the whole spot.

Last edited:

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
ok sorry for 3x post, but one last one lol, i just keep finding new info

i read this site

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://lh6.ggpht.com/MadamMatrix/SAkFEI4Ye8I/AAAAAAAAAPI/5WLViHeIKVQ/sexingRamsfemale_thumb9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com/2008/04/sexing-microgeophagus-ramirezi-german.html&usg=__SA51Z4LXQ022krsJOrYgaQFelOc=&h=307&w=401&sz=39&hl=en&start=47&um=1&tbnid=gTp6hYWPxte55M:&tbnh=95&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblue%2Bram%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D40%26um%3D1

and upon following what it said, the ram who is more colorful, and chases the other one around constantly, is the female. i guess she has a very very very faint pink belly, but theres definately black on the bottom fin thingies, and like someone said in this thread, her top fins are more circle on the back, instead of pointing to the back of the fins

are males supposed to be not as colorful or something? and are males supposed to be the ones that are chased? i think im gonna take this one back cause his color really just bugs me. but the "male" also has black on his bottom hand things.

ugh! i just wish i coul get a camera

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store