Suggested Powerhead Placement

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrunchyToast

From the toaster to the sea.
Mar 19, 2008
Washington
www.myspace.com
I had a previous thread going here about some red algae growing in my tank. I found out it was Cyanobacteria. I scooped it all out and rearranged some stuff. Also, cleaned my filter pads quite well, and set everything back.

Now my issue is: how should I place my powerheads? I know I'll need more than what I have, but it's all I can afford at this very moment.

Current Layout:

I was hoping the two powerheads on the back wall would cause the current to pick up a little and wrap along the glass to the floor and cause current, but I don't know how well that will work for a long time. The powerhead on the left sweeps back and fourth but I don't think it's getting enough done as it doesn't stay in one spot long enough to cause a heavy stream and cyano can grow below it.

This is my next layout I was thinking about trying:

If I move the two stationary powerheads to the sides blowing towards the center, I'm hoping the streams can meet up and cause a current in the middle. I can put the third powerhead sideways and turn it so it points down and streams to the front of the tank and back.

I know I'll be getting another powerhead or so come tomorrow, but what do you think is the best positioning?

brackeeper75

Slave To The Fishes!
Feb 23, 2008
Kissimmee, Florida
www.scotts-place.com
There is no real way to judge how exactly they should be placed. It is a lot of trial and error. You don't want a sand storm from the current, however you want to keep deitrus from settling on the bottom. you also want to have some quiet areas in the tank. Try moving them around to try and get the best effect. For me I put mine half way down the tank one on the front one on the back. Kind of makes a figure eight in the current, and keeps my corners clean.

CrunchyToast

Mar 19, 2008
Washington
www.myspace.com
Yea, I tried moving them around and all and after cleaning all that Cyanobacteria out it's starting to come back again. I know more LR will help with the sand disturbance but I don't know about now. I tried the layout I gave and all it did was blow the sand everywhere even when I set it towards the top. I know I need A LOT more LR but for now, it's what I can get. I was also thinking of changing from sand to something else, but I don't wanna go through all that lol. This is turning into a difficult task right now lol.

More advice yes? lol.

bknapp

Started a hobby became an obsession
Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
I would say (with the little that I know), that shortening the amount of time your lights are on, more LR, more movement, a CUC, and possibly running a Phospahte remover or a reactor would go a long way with the cyano.

And I personally would put the rotating powerhead on the back wall and one of the others in opposite corners facing each other.

CrunchyToast

Mar 19, 2008
Washington
www.myspace.com
Right now that's my current setup. I have the black powerheads on opposite side walls and the rotating one on the back. It still blows my sand everywhere though. As for the cuc, instead I have a few Nassarius snails. I have 3 and I know I'm going to need a lot more but don't want to put them until I have more rock as to not crush them. Is there perhaps a sand vacuum I can use that won't suck upmy sand?

Edit: and the sand below the powerheads isn't getting touched so I know I'm going to need to do much more.

Last edited:

bknapp

Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
You could just use a regular syphon to pick up some sand, I pick up a good bit of detrius and sand in my FW tank just using a syphon. Do you have to powerheads on opposite corners?

bknapp

Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
Hhhhhmmmmmm.... How close to the bottom do you have them?? Have you tried at different heights?? Do you know your GPH?? With three powerheads and two filters you should have plenty of movement. Do you use RO/DI water??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store