1 Discus not eating, may have parasite, which Medicines recommended?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
Problem: 3days now one discus is not eating, has gray poop. sees food but passes it up incl. frozen brine/worms. have not tried garlic yet. no meds added yet. swims ok sometimes schools, sometimes it has the flutters (pectoral fins or dorsal fins) like it has the chills.

Q? - seems like it may have a parasite. which medicines below would you recommend I purchase?

Here are my vitals:

-72gal BowFront
-9weeks running, cycled for 1mo. with cycled AC110 + 4 angels/albino corys/pleco, then trf to other tank after discus arrived
-15 juvie discus, 7 tiny baby BN, 1 baby royal
-Ph 6.6 Am 0 Ni 0 Na 0
-Temp 85
-AC110, Fluval204, sponge filter + airstone
-W/C-vac daily 30% (just cleaned filter media, filthy)
-Water Conditioner - Prime
-Food: flakes 3x/day, frozen brine/worms every other day
-Prior illness - last week used Kordon Rid Ich & salt to treat ich for 5days, 1 had full body sprinkle, 2 others had a spot, gone since friday, continued 5days more

MEDS: I've read many like Prazipro, some use Jungle's Parasite Clear

Kordon Permoxyn: 4 oz. Bottle: $2.95 Each
Kordon Permoxyn can be useful to the fish keeper as a control and treatment in eliminating a wide range of external diseases and parasites infecting freshwater aquarium and pond fishes, including those caused by protozoans such as Chilodonella, Costia, and Trichodina, by monogenean trematode flukes Dactylogyrus gill flukes and Gyrodactylus skin flukes, by fish lice Argulus, and by anchor worms Lernaea. Kordon Permoxyn can be helpful as a supportive treatment in reducing and assisting in the healing process of bacterial diseases such as gill disease Flavobacterium and skin ulcers Furunculosis and Hemorrhagic septicemia. 4 oz. treats 240 gallons

FLUKE-TABS: 100 Tablet Bottle: $18.99 Each
Effective medication for the treatment of parasitic infestations of freshwater and salt water aquarium fish. Treats: Tapeworms, Parasiric Copepods, Body Flukes, Anchor Worms, Gill Flukes, Fish Louse, Capillaria and other Trematodes. (Do not use in aquariums with invertebrates.) 1 Tablet treats 10 gallons of water.

PRAZIPRO: 4 OZ. Bottle: $10.79 Each 16 OZ. Bottle: $29.79 Each
Treats diseases caused by Flukes, Tapeworms, Flatworm, Turbellatians. This is a extremly safe and effective product that will not affect your biological filtration. 1 teaspoon treats 20 gallons of water.

JUNGLE PARASITE CLEAR TANK BUDDIES: $19.95 (100 Count)
Parasite Clear Tank Buddies Now with Praziquantel. • Quickly clears external and internal parasites. • Helps prevent secondary infections. • Will not harm biological filtration. • No need to raise the water temperature. Clears external and internal parasites. No need to raise the water temperature. Also helps prevent secondary infections and will not harm biological filtration. The fizz lets you know it's working!,"Wait 48 hours between treatments. Remove activated carbon. Change 25% of the water before each new treatment. For anchor worms, repeat treatment up to three times, once a week, for three weeks. For fish lice, treat once a week for three to five weeks. Each tablet treats 10 gallons.

MARDEL COPPERSAFE: $8.49 Each 16 oz. Bottle
Very effective treatment for preventing and curing ich and other parasite infestations. Contains soluble copper salts and is safe for most plants. 16 oz. treats over 8,000 gallons.

thks all.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Hi Ray,
First off, any idea why the tank came down with ick?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
First off raise the temp. If you're treating sick discus the temp should be upper 80's to low 90's. That alone will often stimulate feeding. As far as meds I like a mix of praziquantel, metronidazole, and levamisole for internal parasites. By combining these three you cover pretty much all possibilities.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
If I remember correctly, you got the fish from Hans, so my suggestion is to not do a thing until you speak with him about the fish. You could be seeing some stomach lining if the fish hasn't been eating.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
thks all, I do have hans info. I didn't want to bother him since his fish came all healthy and all & it must have been my initial mixing in with my cycling angels/albino corys when Ich appeared 2weeks later. They were all eating great but now just this one only - it does get chased but not often since it is not a threat to the food frenzy if it is not partaking, but when it is chased, it discourages it more. hans told me once he couldn't advise based on his experience cuz he never had any disease issues to contend with. suggested I go to the forums.

so will drop him a line again on this hunger strike. thks again.

hey subrosa, what products do you recommend that have these? praziquantel, metronidazole, and levamisole for internal parasites.

Someone recommended Kents Liquid Garlic to mix with the food.

also big thread on praziquantel concerns

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=54699

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Meds are very hard on fish and come with risks, especially parasite meds. Would hate to see you expose them all to meds if they didn't really need it. That's why I suggested asking Hans about the situation. He may know that it's not a parasite. Good luck.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
For praziquantel I use Prazipro. Metronidazole I use Metro RX. Levamisole I get from a farm supply place. My own experiences with these drugs in a commercial setting has been very positive. I have a good relationship with an aquatic vet and he assures me that praziquantel has a very specific mode of action that makes it very safe for non-target organisms.

ksane

aka TwistedPenguin
Mar 1, 2008
Oklahoma, USA
One thought comes to mind-Royals are wild-caught and if you didn't quarrantine him and treat him for parasites he very easily could have them &/or passed them to others. Don't seperate the fish like someone said-whatever 1 has they all have and you'll have to treat the whole tank.
My vote is with something simple and cheap like Parasite Clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store