Black Tang Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pkumar

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
So Cal
Have had a Black Tang in display tank now for 2 days. Was very careful with acclimation. Eating well, but fins clamped - "Scratching" type motions on live rock. Looking carefully, may be seeing one or two "ich" type spots on body. Did not do freshwater dip, did not QT (didn't have time to set up QT tank). Now what do I do????? Other inhabitants with vertebrae - two maroon clowns, and smaller purple tang are doing well - no signs of any illness. I do have one cleaner shrimp in, not sure if he will help with removal of any parasites. Water parameters are good. Have 40W UV running - have read that this may help with "free floating" part of ich lifecycle? What should I do?:help: I know this has been a pretty bad newbie mistake.....esp with this fish. Do I let "nature" take its course and see how things go over next few days, and if he seems to be not doing well THEN attempt to take him out, or attempt to catch him now (which will not be easy - i dont' want to tear apart the tank for this) and place him in QT. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

- Prashanth

pkumar

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
So Cal
ACE - I Know I Know!!!!!! Never again. I just got through raising a batch of discus before deciding SW and RULE #1 QT, QT, QT.!!!!!!! YIKES. I get a call at work a couple of days ago, LFS guy says that his wholesaler has 3 black tangs in, and sold one the day before. Assured me fish was eating like a champ - which he still is - and one thing led to another..."don't know when he'll get this fish in again..yada yada yada" and before you know it I'm dropping this guy in the tank. Brain freeze on my part - absolutely :duh:. I should have asked to have him QT this guy locally in the store atleast. I got him for a reasonable price - but that sure is no comfort - still quite a bit to drop on one fish. My family (inlaws, my own mother) thinks i'm crazy, which is prob true. Anyway, whats done is done, but man, this was pretty dumb :swear:

-Prashanth

thereef

So many tanks so little time
The signs you are seeing are stress related. Check ALL water parameters and correct them. Also you put a black tang with a purple (mean little s--ts) that a territorial. As long as the other fish show no signs of parasites controll this with water quality not meds. Meds lead to more stress. It is not unusual for this to happen with tangs. I ship about 20 per week in and have to go thru this for about a week. Feed OCN nori sheets with the garlic added. Put at each end of the tank so the purple dont bully the black while eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store