Swollen eyes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrandaRookie

It's not just orandas now
May 21, 2007
UK
I woke up this morning to find one of my goldfish looking a bit odd. It looks like he's been punched in the eyes and they're swollen. Not his actual eyeballs, they aren't popping out or anything, but the skin around his eyes is very swollen

Behold!

I dont have any water parameter readings sorry. The fish is swimming, eating and pooping as normal. Should I be worried??

(also, you can see what he should look like in my avatar)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Possibly expressing the mutation that was bred into bubble eyes? Not really sure, but it reminds me of a joke.
Q: What do you say to a Goldfish with two swollen eyes?
A: Nothing, you already told it twice!

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
That's rather odd. Since it's not the eyes themselves that appear to be bulging, I don't know if I'd immediately think it was an illness or pressure build-up. Perhaps it's a phase in the development of the fish's wen?

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I do not personally have any experience with this, and it may be just a part of the fish growing but as with anything fishy, the first and most important thing is very clean water. If it is some illness, very clean water will help. Daily water changes. If it is nothing, the clean water will not have hurt. Hopefully Kashta, Flarringshutter, or Lupin...or one of the other goldie experts will chime in.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I saw something like this recently on another forum (for goldfish.) Let me go do some reading and see what they said about it.

EDIT: From what I have found, swollen eye rings can indicate an excess of fluid in the tissues around the eyes, and can be a precursor to dropsy. Also recommended is to up your KH and GH, hardening your water. Using calcium chloride can reduce the effort needed for osmoregulation (water exchange.)

Kristina

Last edited:

OrandaRookie

May 21, 2007
UK
Any fishkeeper is alarmed to hear the word "dropsy"! o_O

Since making this thread, Ghost had slowed down and his belly has noticeably become rounder. It's scary at the speed in which this is happening. He's been qt'd (i always have an fishless tank on the go for just such an emergency)
I'm reluctant to use my Anti Internal Bacteria medicine just in case it's not dropsy.. but the longer I leave it the worse he'll get.

If it is dropsy do I need to treat my main tank??

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Dropsy in of itself is not a disease, but rather an indication of kidney failure due to parasites, bacterial infections, water quality, or other factors.

Dropsy is not contagious, but the factor leading to dropsy can be. I would not treat the main tank unless there are indications that other fish may be having health issues, just observe closely.

Are there any chance of more pictures, especially from a top view?

My first step personally would be to add one teaspoon of salt per gallon to the water in the QT. Other than that I would do what I could to get parameter readings on the main tank to rule out water quality issues.

Kristina

OrandaRookie

May 21, 2007
UK
Thanks for all the help guys but since I left messaged here, the fish has spiraled downhill dramatically. His body is now huge and his poop is red. The speed in which this has taken hold is really scary! Yesterday he was a lively healthy fish! I'm hoping he'll die peacefully in the night, I dont want him to suffer

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I am sorry to hear that, OrandaRookie.:( This is surprisingly very fast to me when you consider this one, the fact goldies often can withstand health issues for a long time and even recover quickly miraculously. If you feel he may not make it through the night, I'd suggest clove oil and vodka.:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store