not a newbie but a newbie question!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erk2581

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
Okay, like the title states, I'm not a newbie, but this question kinda is! I've got quite a few tanks, but now the girlfriend wants one of her own...its just a 10 gallon but she loves it. My question is...HOW can I cycle it at my house (she started college soccer 2-a-days doesnt have time to test water/change water etc) and then transport it to hers? Obviously drain most water out before I take it over to her house...but how much do I need to leave in there so it doesn't mini-cycle when I fill it back up...? Thanks everyone!

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
take the tank water to the new location in a bucket at least 5 gallons maybe two buckets half full so you won't spill any just my opinion

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
The water is not what is cycled, the filter is. As long as you keep the filter media wet and the transport happens within a 24 hour period, you should not have any bacteria die off. If she has a substrate, just leave enough water to keep it wet as well as there is some bacteria in the substrate.

Hope this helps.

erk2581

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
it does! I love this site! Thanks so much people. Ill get it started for her today and hopefully in 2 weeks or so Ill take it to her house. It's amazing how excited a first time fish keeper gets about their first 10 gallon tank!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Yea, as snoopy said the filter is what is cycled, so don't even worry about the tank water, Just leave the media and substrate wet.

erk2581

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
thanks...i have a healthy 10 gallon in my collection the same filter as on hers...should i put my media into her filter to help start a cycle?

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
If you take all of your media and put it in hers, your tank will go through at least a mini cycle. I would get her tank set up and add "squeezings" from your filters into her filter. Some bacteria will be transferred and her cycle will be jump started.

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
What i do is use two foam pieces in my ac 50 so if i get a new tank i just use one of those. Of course not all filters make it easy to do that. I also make sure my qt tank uses the same filter

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
When you move the tank, ensure the media is damp, NOT under water! It must have oxygen to live, so if the water is not flowing, it should have some air exposure. Same goes for the gravel.

I have found I can do pretty much of an instant cycle by swapping 50% of the new media with equal amount from an established filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store