Substrate Choice/Lighting issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
My Eclipse System 12 from Big Al's Online will be arriving shortly. I have a multitude of decisions to make before setting it up.

Issue 1: Does anyone know how strong the lighting is with this system? I asked the friendly folks at Petsmart who said that it is fine for plants with high light requirements, but I always question their judgement. The packaging gives no clue as to the wattage. I also question Petsmarts knowledge of aquatic plants in general. A label there says that java ferns need moderate light when I've always heard that they are low light plants.

Issue 2: Substrate dilemma! I really like the look of onyx, but I want to keep cories and am not sure if onyx is too sharp for them. Also, I want to be able to vacuum, but I think onyx is too fine to vacuum. If it is too fine to vacuum, how do people with onyx keep their tanks clean? Fluorite or small, light brown pebbles would be my other preferred options.

I would like to be able to have java ferns, aponogeton varieties, java moss, anachris, and maybe anubias or crypts. Are any of these nutrient hogs? I hate algae!

emoore

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
San Jose, CA
Visit site
I have never had an eclipse so I can't comment on #1.

I have flourite for my substrate and I don't vacuum the gravel. I usually just go over the top surface of the gravel. I don't think it is a good idea to be messing around with the substrate that much if you have a heavily planted tank. Especially if you have root tabs or laterite in the substrate. If you expose those too much you might get an algae bloom. If you really want to vacuum your gravel then I suggest put some plants in pots. You won't be able to have a heavily planted tank but you would have some plants.

Anubas and Crypts are slow growing plants so they don't use up as much nutrients as faster growing plants.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I'm using SeaChem's Onyx Sand and the texture is what I consider 'perfect'.. It's size is in between fine sand, and regular gravel --- it's just right. :)

It's not 'sharp' so it won't hurt bottom feeders and vacuuming is no problem.

However, there is another product out there called 'Black Onyx sand', I think, and it's different. It's real fine sand and it's not made by SeaChem.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Well... Marineland just describes it as a 'full spectrum flourescent bulb', doesn't give wattage or anything.

Diemsions make it a 20" tank, so probably an 18" buld, which are generally 15w. So that's 1.25w/g, but it's a bowfront on the 12, so better figure is probably 1.5w/g

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
Thanks for the calculations Wippit Guud, I'll stick to low light plants.

125gJoe, I think I will go with SeaChem's onyx sand. It's a bit pricey compared to pebbles from Home Depot, but I will call it an Xmas gift to myself... oh wait, that would be the new 12 gallon. lol

Emoore, I am liking the flower pot idea more everyday. I created a separate post on that issue, and as long as no one finds problems with the concept I will pot all of my plants and maybe transform some of them into cory/shrimp caves.

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
That's what I get for ordering an aquarium system rather than buying everything individually. I suppose I would have to tear apart the hood to upgrade the lighting, probably voiding the warranty in the process. Oh well, I still love the Eclipse Systems, I might just be posting a lot less to this forum in the future. The upside is very little algae :)!

I hope my aponogetons survive the transition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store