LFS Visit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Finally went to the LFS today. They had no shellies nor brichardi nor pulcher, so I got 3 J. transcriptus (supposedly 1m 2f) for in the 29 with my two queen loaches and two tiger barbs, and 2 black calvus (almost definite pair) alone in another 29. Hoping to add shellies or something else to the julies, and possibly a second female calvus eventually. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide on the fish for these tanks.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The loaches got used to it with the firemouths I had before, and can hold their own. I didn't know the lone female could be a problem though. Also, one of the julies has a yellowish tint behind the pectoral fin. What does that mean?

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Never mind about the yellow spot. They all have that. One of the three is constantly hiding, so I don't know. My calvus still won't come out, but that's expected.

One more thing. I heard that calvus have a bad rep for jumping out. Is that true?

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I think they are breeding already. Right after I put them in, both females atarted twitching for the male, yadda yadda yadda. The one he didn't pick is hiding a lot. Now I have to do something with her...

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yeah, watch her carefully; you may have to remove her.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Julies don't get along with their own mates half the time. I would rank them at least twice as aggressive as Firemouths when breeding. What are your plans for the Barbs? They should really be in a group of 6 or more.

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I have thought about upgrading them to a larger number.

And about the julies, would getting another (male or female) help? And if so, do they have to be transcriptus, or can they be another kind?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Julies don't get along with their own mates half the time. I would rank them at least twice as aggressive as Firemouths when breeding. What are your plans for the Barbs? They should really be in a group of 6 or more.
Great point!

My first pair bred, then the male killed the female. Lovely couple...

I would not add anymore. You do not have the room for two breeding pairs. Even with another species you risk them interbreeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store